Worm?

UltimateElektra

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2023
Are those pieces of worm? Tapeworm?

What meds do i give? I have safe-guard
1000005068.jpg

It doesn’t really look like tapeworm to me. Tapeworm segments are smaller and softer looking like a grain of rice. They will also be moving and trying to burrow away from the light. Sometimes tapeworm segments can also be thinner and yellow. It looks like your bird ate something that it couldn’t digest and it’s come out the other end. I would just keep an eye out in the afternoon/evenings for a little while to see if you find any other poops with a similar thing.

It doesn’t really look like tapeworm to me. Tapeworm segments are smaller and softer looking like a grain of rice. They will also be moving and trying to burrow away from the light. Sometimes tapeworm segments can also be thinner and yellow. It looks like your bird ate something that it couldn’t digest and it’s come out the other end. I would just keep an eye out in the afternoon/evenings for a little while to see if you find any other poops with a similar thing.
Okay. Any reason their poop is yellow like that? It started a few weeks ago.

Yellow urates can have a number of causes. Bacterial infection, yeast overgrowth, organ issues and dehydration. Make sure they always have clean fresh water and grit available. What do you feed them?

Yellow urates can have a number of causes. Bacterial infection, yeast overgrowth, organ issues and dehydration. Make sure they always have clean fresh water and grit available. What do you feed them?
They eat an all flock, have oyster shells and egg shells available, i change their water daily.

You can feel your laying hens’ abdomens to check for an indication of issues. Feel the area under the vent and before the keel bone. In laying hens it should be soft and squishy. It it’s hard, distended, fluid filled like a water balloon — these are all signs of a possible issue.

Oh, I forgot to mention fatty liver disease as another possible cause. How old are your chickens? Do you know which one might have passed that dropping? Do you have any who looks a bit lethargic, has her tail down, or has an enlarged lower belly? Many hens can have any one of those problems after the age of 2-3 years. If sometimes can happen in a younger chicken as well. I have seen that type of dropping from a few of my hens who lived a couple of years passing those droppings. But I try to do a home necropsy on any that I lose, to find out what might have been wrong with them.

Can you have your vet run a fecal float on some fresh droppings to look for worm eggs? Do you worm them once or twice a year?

Oh, I forgot to mention fatty liver disease as another possible cause. How old are your chickens? Do you know which one might have passed that dropping? Do you have any who looks a bit lethargic, has her tail down, or has an enlarged lower belly? Many hens can have any one of those problems after the age of 2-3 years. If sometimes can happen in a younger chicken as well. I have seen that type of dropping from a few of my hens who lived a couple of years passing those droppings. But I try to do a home necropsy on any that I lose, to find out what might have been wrong with them.

Can you have your vet run a fecal float on some fresh droppings to look for worm eggs? Do you worm them once or twice a year?
They are only 8 months old. Pretty sure its my roo. Ill check in the am i know which spot he is roosting in. They are all acting fine. Running around like normal, no pale combs or lethargic.

I dont believe i habe ever wormed them.

Back
Top Bottom