Worming a cockerel that has worms

Svh2403

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2022
Hi Just for some advice as its the first time it's happened. We have a cockerel who has some tiny worms in his poo and two small blood spots/lump - before and after this poo was spotted the others have been ok so think its been spotted early. We have a tub of flubenvet powder we are going to mix with his food. Is this all we need to do? Can he eat other things as well during the seven days or must he stick to his pellet food? Thanks any suggestions really appreciated

He should only eat the treated feed and he must eat ALL of it each day to get the proper dose of flubendazole. If he has worms, they likely all have worms and should all be treated. Same rule applies. The entire dose per bird must be consumed daily throughout the treatment to be effective.

He should only eat the treated feed and he must eat ALL of it each day to get the proper dose of flubendazole. If he has worms, they likely all have worms and should all be treated. Same rule applies. The entire dose per bird must be consumed daily throughout the treatment to be effective.
Thanks for the advice. Is there a limit that should be consumed each day per bird? Its mixed with the feed and is available to eat at all times usually. I can't see it anywhere in the booklet that comes with the powder

Thanks for the advice. Is there a limit that should be consumed each day per bird? Its mixed with the feed and is available to eat at all times usually. I can't see it anywhere in the booklet that comes with the powder
The limit would exceed the amount the birds could consume if mixed in the correct ratio. Just follow the instructions on the container and confine them to their run/pen so all they have to eat is the medicated feed.
I would put the correct amount of product into slightly less feed than they recommend and feed the birds. Then check them later in the afternoon and if they've eaten everything then you can just give them some more of their plain feed and remove any uneven feed after they've gone to roost for the evening. Then start over the next day and keep repeating until they've had their 7-day course.

The limit would exceed the amount the birds could consume if mixed in the correct ratio. Just follow the instructions on the container and confine them to their run/pen so all they have to eat is the medicated feed.
I would put the correct amount of product into slightly less feed than they recommend and feed the birds. Then check them later in the afternoon and if they've eaten everything then you can just give them some more of their plain feed and remove any uneven feed after they've gone to roost for the evening. Then start over the next day and keep repeating until they've had their 7-day course.
Thanks a lot for your help

Hi Just for some advice as its the first time it's happened. We have a cockerel who has some tiny worms in his poo and two small blood spots/lump - before and after this poo was spotted the others have been ok so think its been spotted early. We have a tub of flubenvet powder we are going to mix with his food. Is this all we need to do? Can he eat other things as well during the seven days or must he stick to his pellet food? Thanks any suggestions really appreciated
Just sharing what I did. I'm de-worming my flock right now. We have liquid fenbendazole 10%. The thing that was easiest for me was, I figured out how much liquid (it ranged from .4 -.6 ml) each chicken needed for their weight and pulled it up in a dosing syringe. I took a tablespoon of their scratch grains and put the dewormer on that, and mixed it up. Since it's a thick liquid, it stuck very well. It also dried decently fast. I would separate each flock member by putting them in a pen, their coop, or any place I could close off. They gobbled it up in their own little dish. I did 11 chickens this way for 3 days in a row. I will have to repeat in 10-14 days.

Just sharing what I did. I'm de-worming my flock right now. We have liquid fenbendazole 10%. The thing that was easiest for me was, I figured out how much liquid (it ranged from .4 -.6 ml) each chicken needed for their weight and pulled it up in a dosing syringe. I took a tablespoon of their scratch grains and put the dewormer on that, and mixed it up. Since it's a thick liquid, it stuck very well. It also dried decently fast. I would separate each flock member by putting them in a pen, their coop, or any place I could close off. They gobbled it up in their own little dish. I did 11 chickens this way for 3 days in a row. I will have to repeat in 10-14 days.
Thank you appreciate the advice!

Back
Top Bottom