worming chickens

is this something I can do myself at home or is this only vet recommended and what is a good all around kills all worms medicine

You can do it yourself, but if a vet did a fecal float they could recommend a wormer and the proper amount of it. Bang for the buck, Valbazen is probably your best choice. The most effective Valbazen dose is 20mg/kg, which is about 0.2ml per 2.2 pounds. Give once by mouth and repeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Try to avoid deworming during moult. Doing so with most wormers will cause irregular feather growth. Once mine are finsished moulting, I will worm them, then do it again early Spring, or if I see symptoms or evidence. The longest period I ever did deworm was with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) and it was 3 days in a row. It took care of cecal worms. It is a good practice to worm with Fenbendazole, then use a different anthelmintic next time. Wormout, Valbazen, Coxiworm are a few good ones.

is this something I can do myself at home or is this only vet recommended and what is a good all around kills all worms medicine
You can easily worm chickens by yourself. Many livestock supply stores, like Tractor Supply, carry several wormers that can be used on chickens. Or, you can order wormers online.

As for the best wormer, Valbazen kills all worms. Its only drawback is that it is rather expensive, at least compared to other wormers. Another excellent choice is SafeGuard, which is commonly sold for use in sheep and goats. It kills most worms, with the exception of tapeworm and (I believe) capillary worms. One other pretty good wormer is the Worminator, which can be ordered online from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584 It isn't 100% effective, but it is what I've used in the past with good results.

Wormers to avoid include Ivermectin and Wazine. While common, both will only give you a false sense of security, and your flock may become loaded with worms. Wazine only kills roundworms, and many worms have become resistant to Ivermectin.

Last edited:

You can easily worm chickens by yourself. Many livestock supply stores, like Tractor Supply, carry several wormers that can be used on chickens. Or, you can order wormers online.

As for the best wormer, Valbazen kills all worms. Its only drawback is that it is rather expensive, at least compared to other wormers. Another excellent choice is SafeGuard, which is commonly sold for use in sheep and goats. It kills most worms, with the exception of tapeworm and (I believe) capillary worms. One other pretty good wormer is the Worminator, which can be ordered online from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584 It isn't 100% effective, but it is what I've used in the past with good results.

Wormers to avoid include Ivermectin and Wazine. While common, both will only give you a false sense of security, and your flock may become loaded with worms. Wazine only kills roundworms, and many worms have become resistant to Ivermectin.

Safeguard does kill capillary worms, but you must give it 5 days in a row.

No offense, but I would avoid buying a worming product like the worminator. Twin City claims they don't know what the active ingredient is (which I don't believe). Many odd things about them and the products and information on their website. Buyer beware!

Those new to chickens should buy products that list all ingredients and the amount of those ingredients.

-Kathy

thank you Kathy that was good advise I needed to know,i am swaying towards valbazen, I believe the dose for my BO and RSL is 1/2 cc per bird

thank you Kathy that was good advise I needed to know,i am swaying towards valbazen, I believe the dose for my BO and RSL is 1/2 cc per bird

A 500ml bottle of Valbazen is the way to go.

The 1/2 cc dose for the RSL is perfect, but if your BO is bigger, it will need a little more. A large BO (8 pounds) will need 0.65ml. The most effective dose is 0.8ml per pound.

-Kathy

No offense, but I would avoid buying a worming product like the worminator. Twin City claims they don't know what the active ingredient is (which I don't believe). Many odd things about them and the products and information on their website. Buyer beware!

Those new to chickens should buy products that list all ingredients and the amount of those ingredients.

-Kathy

I bet if you call and talk to the right person, they'll tell you Worminator is Pyrantel Embonate or Pamoate. It will get all worms except tapes I think. Call them again and ask to speak with someone who knows what the ingredients are. Be persistent. I may do it again too when I have a chance.

Last edited:
I do not know what he weighs i am 5'3"and when they are standing tall the roosters almost come to my hip...i will make sure to weigh them before worming,i plan to make an order Monday if i cannot get it here,when i went to the web site it said that because of the heat it would cost an extra 36$ for shipping...and the valbazen was only like 20 $...

also i watched the video on tube and cath worming is that how it is done or is there another way,i am not comfortable shoving a tube or metal cath down their throats

-Kathy

I bet if you call and talk to the right person, they'll tell you Worminator is Pyrantel Embonate or Pamoate. It will get all worms except tapes I think. Call them again and ask to speak with someone who knows what the ingredients are. Be persistent. I may do it again too when I have a chance.

I talked to Victor and he said very defensively that it was not pyrantel and that they had never told anyone what it was. Definetly got a bad vibe from him... Their website says the egg withdrawal is 24 hours, and I'm pretty sure the withdrawal time for pyrantel is more than that.

If it were pyrantel, why would any sane person import it from England? And why would anyone here in the States buy it from him? Makes no sense to me.

What I should do is buy some and send it off to a lab for testing.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom