worming chickens

also i watched the video on tube and cath worming is that how it is done or is there another way,i am not comfortable shoving a tube or metal cath down their throats

I will put some pictures together that show how I do it. Your big roosters should probably get 0.8ml to 1ml.

-Kathy

I talked to Victor and he said very defensively that it was not pyrantel and that they had never told anyone what it was. Definetly got a bad vibe from him... Their website says the egg withdrawal is 24 hours, and I'm pretty sure the withdrawal time for pyrantel is more than that.

If it were pyrantel, why would any sane person import it from England? And why would anyone here in the States buy it from him? Makes no sense to me.

What I should do is buy some and send it off to a lab for testing.

-Kathy

Hmmm. So he didn't explain what was the ingredient? I could have sworn I was told it was Pyrantel. I don't know if it was Victor. but I will try again. I have some in my cabinet. Well, apparently Pyrantel and Praziquantel don't cause "feather burn" or deformation of feather growth during moult.
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/medications/worms-wormers/2515-avioworm-powder

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/medications/canker-products/2539-avio-coxiworm-tablets

I never paid too much attention to wormer withdrawal times and ate eggs for many years from birds. Just to be safe, I wait two weeks now. You remember the discussion we had about Wormazole, lol. At least Wood could tell me what it was. It was originally Mebendazole, and then the formulation changed to oxfendazole to kill all worms. I don't know if Mebendazole killed the tapes that infest chickens. Anyway, the capsules were too big for Leghorn sized birds or anything smaller, so I always used the liquid. It worked well but costs about the same as Albendazole (Valbazen).

Last edited:
Michael, Victor was evasive and got very defensive when I asked what it was. He flat out claimed the he didn't know and that they never told anyone what it was. I tried my best to explain that I was the type that liked to worm by weight, and he insisted that any size bantam got one amount and all other birds, including 30 pound turkeys got the other amount. Anyone should be able to see the flawed logic in that, lol.

-Kathy

Victor is the owner of Twin City. I really wish someone from his company would creat an account and answer our questions about their products and dosing. Their website also says that one metronidazole pill will treat canker and blackhead, lol.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Their Baytril dosing info is not correct either. It's at the low end for a 5 pound bird, which means it's not nearly enough for a 10 pound bird.

Last edited:
From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!
  • Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

• Repeat in ten days.

And this:
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

-Kathy

More on Twin City's Worminator

This is what is says now:

H-4-8 WORMINATOR 5 ML
$11.95
Great product ! 5 ML.
Use one drop only for Bantam Chickens, Call Ducks, Pigeons and Pheasants and only two drops for Large Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Peacocks. down the throat only. Gets rid of 11 varieties of internal parasites. Can repeat in 18 days if necessary but most times one dose will destroy all worms. 24 Hour withdraw before eating eggs after using.

This is what it used to say:

WORMINATOR NEW ITEM !
$11.95
Great product imported from England. 5 ML. Use one drop only for Bantams and two drops only for Large Fowl. Gets rid of all worms except tape worms. Caution: can not eat eggs or meat for 18 days after you have administered wormer.

So what changed? I'd also like to know what 11 varieties of worms it gets.

-Kathy

That is scary...I have looked on the internet at this Company and would not touch them with a bargepole...this may be an English expression but beware,,,there is no way I would entertain buying anything from this Company...thanks Cathy for bringing this to the attention of us all...!

That is scary...I have looked on the internet at this Company and would not touch them with a bargepole...this may be an English expression but beware,,,there is no way I would entertain buying anything from this Company...thanks Cathy for bringing this to the attention of us all...!

They have some interesting items as well as the usuals, but there is something about a company that flat out refuses to give proper information regarding medications. I often mix medications, but I know wha drug interactions they have. Some wormers, when given together, are toxic to chickens. Just going off of what a website and/or their employees says is a recipe for disaster, IMNSHO, lol.

Lots of good wormers that are properly labeled, packaged and studied, so there is no need to buy something that is not.

-Kathy

More on Twin City's Worminator

This is what is says now:

H-4-8 WORMINATOR 5 ML
$11.95
Great product ! 5 ML.
Use one drop only for Bantam Chickens, Call Ducks, Pigeons and Pheasants and only two drops for Large Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Peacocks. down the throat only. Gets rid of 11 varieties of internal parasites. Can repeat in 18 days if necessary but most times one dose will destroy all worms. 24 Hour withdraw before eating eggs after using.

This is what it used to say:

WORMINATOR NEW ITEM !
$11.95
Great product imported from England. 5 ML. Use one drop only for Bantams and two drops only for Large Fowl. Gets rid of all worms except tape worms. Caution: can not eat eggs or meat for 18 days after you have administered wormer.

So what changed? I'd also like to know what 11 varieties of worms it gets.

-Kathy

Still awaiting an answer again, days later.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom