Worms...AGAIN. Please help...I dont know what I can use now!

I think..well, I can't say what I think because I'd probably be kicked off BYC. Certain posters highjacked OPs thread to be pretend vets and scientists. Notice how OP hasn't been back? Nice. Really nice. Perhaps you should have started your own debate thread.

One doesn't need to be a scientist or vet to understand recorded research and trials, conducted by very competent professors, in regard to poultry husbandry. There's no shortage of redundant misinformation promoted on this forum as well as other forums. No different than the word on the street or media talking heads. So when certain folks step up to responsibility and dispel that misinformation, it should be appreciated. Especially by those new folks experiencing ill health among their flocks, and likely find themselves sorting through numerous BS posts, and ridiculous web pages to find helpful information.

Last edited:
One doesn't need to be a scientist or vet to understand recorded research and trials, conducted by very competent professors, in regard to poultry husbandry. There's no shortage of redundant misinformation promoted on this forum as well as other forums. No different than the word on the street or media talking heads.......
I agree Michael. So far I've seen DE, garlic, and various other herbal remedies touted as internal parasite miracles.

How can DE be effective when the particles are so small that they shoot through a chickens' gut as fast as bird shot out of a scatter gun?

As for garlic and other herbal remedies, I thought that this thread is about expelling intestinal worms in chickens, not repelling vampires.

There is nothing wrong with giving your chickens these things, after all they're your chickens, but scientific based inquiry should always be the #1 option. In the last 150 - 200 years poultry husbandry has come a long way, lets keep the new discoveries coming regardless of our political opinions about new technology.

Last edited:
How sad was it that I thought about this thread when I walked past the glitter isle in Walmart? Even sadder to think that I actually spent a few minutes looking at the various colors and almost bought a pack with several colors. Sigh, I need a life, lol. :D

-Kathy

Use ivermectin pour on. Its in the cattle section at the feed store. I use 3 drops for standard size chickens. You put it on the skin at the base of the neck, just like the dog flea stuff. The stuff you're using only works on certain types of worms. The ivermectin kills more types of worms and it takes care of mites and lice.

Thank you! Is there a paste I could feed them instead? Just curious what my options are. Does the pour on take care of all worms?

also, should I be using wazine again, and then the harsher stuff. I just changed out the water and put wazine in it because I freaked out. Should i take it away and go get the stuff now, or will it be ok to leave the wazine water in their run for the hour to 2 hours it takes me to get back?

The follow up with wazine won't hurt and may help. It just stuns worms and if your soil is infested they can pick them back up really quickly. After this second go give it a week or so and I would follow up with Ivermectin or fenbendazole (safeguard) to get their system cleared of the worms. Worms are not a one time thing, if you have soil heavy with worms you may need to treat more than just once a year to keep the worm load down. Some people do claim good results with herbal /natural approaches but I doubt they would work for every situation, esp a bad case with heavily infested soil.

I've been told to use Wazine 1st to remove any large worms, and then follow up with Ivermectin Eprinex. If they are killed off too quickly and there is a good-sized load, they can literally block the intestines with dead worms. Eprinex form of Ivermectin is the best form, from all the research I've done. It's a very small dose, .5 cc's for an average size bird. And, it also treats external parasites as well. BEST of luck!

What you are seeing is most likely cecal worms and wazine wont do anything for cecal worms. I recommend you treat your chickens with valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer(albendazole.) It kills all known worms that chickens get. It's administered orally. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens.
You can also use safeguard liquid goat wormer(fenbendazole.) It's administered orally. Dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. If your feed store doesnt carry them, they can be ordered from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Redose again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from the initial worming. There is a grand total 24 days withdrawal.
http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

I was using wazine and my chickens started getting sick and dying. I had some of the dead ones necropsied and they were full of worms. The State Ag Dept and a local vet said wazine wasnt very effective. They told me that the best thing to do is alternate the ivermectin and safeguard. I used the pour on ivermectin. There are other forms you can use for the chickens, but I do not know the dosages. I got the ivermectin and applied it the same day. If the worms are bad enough to make the birds sick then you need to use the ivermectin now. Waiting will just make it more likely that they will die from the worms. Once they start acting sick you do not have long. I lost 8 chickens, a turkey, and a goose before I got the necropsy results back. The ivermectin takes care of a lot of different types of worms and also kills mites and lice.

Back
Top Bottom