Worms...AGAIN. Please help...I dont know what I can use now!

roz

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
MA
I treated my chickens with piperazine a month ago after having one of my hens expelled a load of adult roundworms. They seemed to be doing great. Maybe this is naive, but I put them on verm-x because I was trying to avoid chemicals, but today the one who was sick before (that had gotten better) is acting sick again, and I was able to see a poop that had small, maybe 1/8 inch long worms moving around in them. I just put some piperazine in the water again, but I'm concerned they wont really get enough of it. Can I feed them the paste stuff? I am throwing in the towel with the herbal stuff right now. I want my girls to get better...I hope I'm not too late. I can run to a store now, I just need to make sure I get exactly what I need!

Kathy, stick with what you're using. It's a sales persons job to sell their product and will say anything to get you to buy their product. Anyone that tells me that DE is an effective wormer or even hints at it being an effective wormer...it's time to walk the other way. Safeguard and valbazen are very safe wormers and arnt expensive and have up to 3 year expiration dates...more bang for the buck. Safeguard kills all worms except tapeworms, Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens can get including flukes. We have hundreds of BYC'ers that can verify the effectiveness of these wormers.

Kathy, stick with what you're using. It's a sales persons job to sell their product and will say anything to get you to buy their product. Anyone that tells me that DE is an effective wormer or even hints at it being an effective wormer...it's time to walk the other way. Safeguard and valbazen are very safe wormers and arnt expensive and have up to 3 year expiration dates...more bang for the buck. Safeguard kills all worms except tapeworms, Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens can get including flukes. We have hundreds of BYC'ers that can verify the effectiveness of these wormers.
I will stick with it knowing that I can very safely treat even the sickest of birds with it. I also know that wormers like Safeguard (fenbendazole) can be used on any age bird and with almost every drug that one might use in poultry.

If for some reason I decide that I want or need a combo I will buy the Medi-Worm and TriFen Plus.

-Kathy

Edited to correct typo

Last edited:
1f440.png

Last edited:
The fenbendazole is not in it to treat gapeworms, the Ivermectin in the product treats that. Cappilaria gets wiped out with one dose of Fenbendazole, as does Whipworms in canines with Fenbendazole. All other worms it caims to treat takes 3 days of treatment to be effective.

This is misinformation. Any wormer given in a high enough dose given in 5 days of treatment will take care of gapeworm. One dose of fenbendazole will not treat capillary worms, 5 days dosing will take care of capillary worms. I know, I've dealt with them verified by a vet with fecal samples.

Actually, Worm Eradicator sounds like a decent product with the different types of wormers in it...except for worthless DE which is probably a filler. I might try it for my dog, but not my chickens.

Diatomaceous Earth is not worthless. It has it's place in this product by injuring the worm in the digestive tract as it passes them, while the other chemical ingredients do what they do to dislodge them.

DE is ineffective when wet, just like inside the chickens innards. The chemical wormers kill the worms, not the DE. Otherwise the chemical wormers wouldnt be needed.

Ask any active BYC member and they'll tell you I'm a little anal about dosing according to weight, but I really need to be, 'cause I have to medicate birds as small as 20 grams and as large as 15kg, so these things do matter, and they should matter to everyone with animals.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom