Worms and Worming - Warning, Graphic Pictures and Videos

What would everyone say if I told them that I treated four birds that had feather lice with ivermectin? I did this once before, but only gave them 0.4 mg/kg, orally on some, by injection on others, and it made no difference. My peafowl friends keep telling me ivermectin works for them, so I tried it again, but this time I used the amount they use, which is about 1.5 mg/kg. Gave it orally to 1 peacock, 1 big rooster and two cochin Banties. The next day the lice on the peacock were gone, but the chickens still had a bunch. Would you all believe me if I told you that as of an hour ago, all live lice are gone? 

-Kathy

The ones I gave it to recently, I gave it to them orally. Product used was a 1.87% horse paste. Each bird was weighed on an accurate scale. Dose was calculated and at given orally from a 1 ml syringe.

The feather lice were the only bugs seen.

Lice were seen when on the chickens when I parter the feathers and looked at the skin. Lice were running on the skin and hanging out on the feathers.

On the peacock, the only lice that I found were on the head, mostly around the eyes.

Just to be clear, I do know the difference between lice and mites.

You used paste. Can pour on be used orally ?

Pour on should *not* be given orally.

-Kathy

Can I post a worming question here?

I have a little flock of 6-week-olds that have been on the soil free-ranging since they were 5 days old. I have observed at least one (I say at least one -- I don't know if it is just one or different ones at different times) extending her neck and opening her mouth. She's done this action three or four times in succession. Everyone is eating and drinking and running around acting like chickens doing chicken things, but I'm wondering if I have the early symptoms of gapeworm here. I was going to run up to TSC and get some Panacur today, but decided to ask here for knowledgeable opinions first.

Can I post a worming question here?

I have a little flock of 6-week-olds that have been on the soil free-ranging since they were 5 days old. I have observed at least one (I say at least one -- I don't know if it is just one or different ones at different times) extending her neck and opening her mouth. She's done this action three or four times in succession. Everyone is eating and drinking and running around acting like chickens doing chicken things, but I'm wondering if I have the early symptoms of gapeworm here. I was going to run up to TSC and get some Panacur today, but decided to ask here for knowledgeable opinions first.
Probably just a crop adjustment...not unusual.

Probably just a crop adjustment...not unusual.

It seemed more than just a crop adjustment, which is why I looked for another cause. I haven't dealt with gapeworm before that I can recall. I didn't know if it was possible that they could have it at 6 weeks.

Is she still doing it?

-Kathy

The answer is; IT"S A ROYAL PAIN! Fenbendazole given in drinking water won't get the same dose into every bird every day, promoting resistance. Catching every bird for five days running to give an oral dose isn't going to happen here either. There is drug resistance developing some places by some parasites, maybe not everywhere to everything. Having fecals run does help, and worst case, necropsies done also helps. I'm using Ivermectin totally off label here, with good success, also for mites. UGH! I wish there were approved effective choices, and so far there really aren't. I hadn't seen the above bulletin before, either. Mary

I've read through this entire thread and still have questions. I have ducks and geese (and have had for years). I've never dewormed them before, but they are looking kind of raggedy and at least a couple of the geese have diarrhea. I'm wondering if they have worms of some sort, so I thought I'd deworm. It's hard finding accurate info!

I don't have time to catch them all every day for five days in a row. I need something I can put in their food or water.

I don't care about off-label use. These birds are mostly yard decorations. I feed the duck eggs to my dogs (but I can throw them out for awhile) and the geese are done laying for the year.

Are waterfowl parasites species specific or are there some parasites that could be transmitted between geese, horses, and dogs?

Should I use fenbendazole or ivermectin and at what dosage?

Back
Top Bottom