Worms and Worming - Warning, Graphic Pictures and Videos

Pics
So is there a wormer that will kill a variety of worms?
A single dose of Valbazen will treat the most, I think. Repeat in ten days. Not approved for use in laying hens, but not banned either. Most people wait two weeks to eat the eggs.

WormoutGel will treat most, and it's water soluble, but not approved either.

Safeguard is very effective, but has to be given 5 days in a row for maximum efficacy.

Some people use ivermectin, but I wouldn't trust it to get some types of worms.

Rooster Booster says it treats many worms, but I know nothing about it.

-Kathy

It's great stuff for tapeworms and flukes, but not approved for food animals, which includes chickens. Mary
Not approved, but it's not banned either.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Been doing some research and think that the praziquantel dose to treat tapeworms in poultry is 10 mg/kg.

Just praziquantel is hard to find, so many people find it easier to use a horse paste with praziquantel and ivermectin.

The dose equations for treating tapeworms using Equimax as follows:
100 gram (0.1kg) bird - .1 x 10 / 140.3 = 0.007 ml per 100 grams
1000 gram (1kg) bird - 1 x 10 / 140.3 = 0.07 ml per 1000 grams
1 pound bird - 1 / 2.2 x 10 / 140.3 = 0.03 ml per pound.
5 pound bird - 5 / 2.2 x 10 / 140.3 = 0.16 ml per 5 pounds.

Praziquantel dose is 10 mg/kg and Equimax is 140.3 mg/ml praziquantel.

As always, please check my math!

-Kathy

What would everyone say if I told them that I treated four birds that had feather lice with ivermectin? I did this once before, but only gave them 0.4 mg/kg, orally on some, by injection on others, and it made no difference. My peafowl friends keep telling me ivermectin works for them, so I tried it again, but this time I used the amount they use, which is about 1.5 mg/kg. Gave it orally to 1 peacock, 1 big rooster and two cochin Banties. The next day the lice on the peacock were gone, but the chickens still had a bunch. Would you all believe me if I told you that as of an hour ago, all live lice are gone?

-Kathy

The ones I gave it to recently, I gave it to them orally. Product used was a 1.87% horse paste. Each bird was weighed on an accurate scale. Dose was calculated and at given orally from a 1 ml syringe.

The feather lice were the only bugs seen.

Lice were seen when on the chickens when I parter the feathers and looked at the skin. Lice were running on the skin and hanging out on the feathers.

On the peacock, the only lice that I found were on the head, mostly around the eyes.

Just to be clear, I do know the difference between lice and mites.
You used paste. Can pour on be used orally ?

Back
Top Bottom