Worms!? Maggots!? In poop!!!

No need to change their feed, what your feeding is just fine
Thank you. I plan on cleaning there coop today. All new bedding and figure out a new poop boards situation what to use as a litter to catch the poop. Clean it daily. We’re adding a new ventilation system to get rid of any hot air trapped that’s making the air so humid.

Thank you. I plan on cleaning there coop today. All new bedding and figure out a new poop boards situation what to use as a litter to catch the poop. Clean it daily. We’re adding a new ventilation system to get rid of any hot air trapped that’s making the air so humid.
I completely understand, I live in Texas, lol. After we get this sorted maybe we can take a look at your coop and give a few suggestions 😉

I completely understand, I live in Texas, lol. After we get this sorted maybe we can take a look at your coop and give a few suggestions 😉
We’ve been adding and changing so much to the coop. I thought we had everything good until they got bigger and realized they needed more room, we made a bigger run the. They needed more ventilation and then the poop boards and they have two rooms acaully😭. They only like using the one the other is just there “play room” when they get bored and decide to throw bedding everywhere.

Those are not internal parasites, those are maggots/fly larvae. Best way to prevent those is to keep the droppings picked up. I scrape my poop boards every day, usually morning, and I never see maggots. And I have gnats and flies all the time. If PDZ is not doing the job fast enough to dry the droppings out, then I would just leave the poop boards plain, and scrape them daily. That will likely save you $$ also, not having to buy PDZ. My boards are painted to seal them, I use nothing on top of them. I scrape the poop off into a bucket with a 6" wide putty knife, and I spray with vinegar and wipe them down. I buy cheap cotton utility rags for that, I hose the rags off after and put in a plastic bin with a lid until I have enough to wash a load. Only takes a few minutes every day. Note, if you don't hose the rags off (I use rags as they are reusable and more economical) they will also become a lure to flies and maggots, and you will have a bin full of them. :sick And if you don't hose them off then your washing machine may not handle them well either. If it icks you out, you can wear rubber gloves.

Those are not internal parasites, those are maggots/fly larvae. Best way to prevent those is to keep the droppings picked up. I scrape my poop boards every day, usually morning, and I never see maggots. And I have gnats and flies all the time. If PDZ is not doing the job fast enough to dry the droppings out, then I would just leave the poop boards plain, and scrape them daily. That will likely save you $$ also, not having to buy PDZ. My boards are painted to seal them, I use nothing on top of them. I scrape the poop off into a bucket with a 6" wide putty knife, and I spray with vinegar and wipe them down. I buy cheap cotton utility rags for that, I hose the rags off after and put in a plastic bin with a lid until I have enough to wash a load. Only takes a few minutes every day. Note, if you don't hose the rags off (I use rags as they are reusable and more economical) they will also become a lure to flies and maggots, and you will have a bin full of them. :sick And if you don't hose them off then your washing machine may not handle them well either. If it icks you out, you can wear rubber gloves.
Thank you. That’s what I thought they were but needed to take caution just in case. What kind of vinegar do you use? I’m going to clean out all bedding and add new stuff to get rid of any larvae in the bedding.

Back
Top Bottom