Worried about my peacock.

Diane H

Songster
May 15, 2020
Hello all.
So, my main worry is that since my peacock is molted, he is spending less time on his roosts and more time just sitting on the ground. I’m concerned he’s losing weight. Neither he nor the hen seems to be eating a lot. Am I just worrying over nothing?
I’ve had him for about a year and a half now And he is five or six years old.
I have tried adding different things to the feed dish, but no interest. I’ve used Cackleberry nuggets, layer, pellets, greens, peas, cooked rice, five grain, scratch. Nothing makes them dive in like they love it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
TIA.
D

I thought pheasant need 30-35% protein feed to sustain there feathers and overall health?

Chickens can eat those things you listed but that's terrible for a peacock.

My peafowl don't eat very much. Give them some gamebird feed to make sure they have protein to regrow feathers. My peafowl spend all day on the ground. If yours are acting different than usual they might need wormed.

Thank you so much. I’ll get them started in that. Much appreciated.
D
Since you only have the two peas it would be much better if you gave them oral dosing. Two ml for the mature hen and three ml for the mature cock one day and again in ten days will kill roundworms and cecal worms. To get all types of worms the five day treatment is required. You can also put the dewormer, including Safeguard in a wet mash, five ml in about a cup of gamebird feed and wet it to the consistency of oatmeal.

Since you only have the two peas it would be much better if you gave them oral dosing. Two ml for the mature hen and three ml for the mature cock one day and again in ten days will kill roundworms and cecal worms. To get all types of worms the five day treatment is required. You can also put the dewormer, including Safeguard in a wet mash, five ml in about a cup of gamebird feed and wet it to the consistency of oatmeal.
Thank you. Since they seem to be eating little I think I’ll try safeguard straight into the mouth.
I don’t know they’ll get the proper amount if put in a mash.

Thank you. Since they seem to be eating little I think I’ll try safeguard straight into the mouth.
I don’t know they’ll get the proper amount if put in a mash.
Good plan. Another thing you can do is to measure the amount of feed you put out. Use a measuring cup to feed and check how much is gone the next day before giving more feed. If you can, weighing is more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom