Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Our avian vet recomended cooked rice for sick birds as it is easily digestible . Whilst it's not be given as the sole diet , it is a good basis to mix meds and vitamins in. A sardine mixed in will have them looking for more.
Rice expands inside, filling them up faster, so therefore they don't want to eat there regular food so they get less nutrients. I'm just saying, I have heard vets giving dogs rice and hamburger meat but then again we aren't talking about a dog.

it's not going to help if it has slipped tendon.

How can I tell if fit's a slipped tendon and how could I fix that? She's moving a whole lot more and a sling is just about impossible. She seems to rest well after a nice warm bath so we feed her most of the day and then give her a really nice bath at night and she rests better. She's actually holding her head up alittle during the day and responding to my husband when he speaks.. She knows where her food is coming from, that's for sure!

Hold her up with one hand underneath her belly and send me a pic of her leg, dangling down, I need to see both legs together. Here's an example.
This pic is kind of dark so if you can get more lighting and a closer pic, that would be great.

Rice expands inside, filling them up faster, so therefore they don't want to eat there regular food so they get less nutrients.  I'm just saying, I have heard vets giving dogs rice and hamburger meat but then again we aren't talking about a dog. 

Cooked rice has already expanded, we aren't talking about uncooked rice and if a bird is sick anything that makes getting meds and vitamins into them is worth a try.
Let's not forget that we are talking about a bird that has already ' gone off ' their regular food.

We're headed out to dinner real quick. She does have one leg (knee) that is swollen but it looks better than it has.. maybe the turmeric is working? She eats it with the poly vi sol. I'll get a photo to you real quick. Thanks

Hold her up with one hand underneath her belly and send me a pic of her leg, dangling down, I need to see both legs together. Here's an example.
This pic is kind of dark so if you can get more lighting and a closer pic, that would be great.

Maybe both legs? The other one doesn't bend backwards but she's still not standing up. It's possible that she's just not going to until she's more recovered but she's pushing an kicking all the time when we feed her. We have to wait till she calms her feet and legs down to set her toes on the table so that she's in a better position to eat. In my mind that's more normal than dangling her legs. When she's having trouble calming down in the cage, I put my hand in there so she can grab my finger as she lays down. It calms her down (or seems to. I might be imagining all that!) Her bad leg sometimes pops that knee towards the front so we hold it in the normal bent back position while feeding her. Any guidance is surely welcome! Thank you so much. She's eating pretty well this morning. Her crop seems to empty out well. I'm bathing her every day so that she doesn't have that poop on her skin or in her feathers. She has bald spots so I'm sure it's not helping to have poop on her. Another thing! She had poop on the right side of her head yesterday so I gently cleaned it off. I got it off and found a tiny hole (ear hole?) but it was red around it like the poop on it had infected it? Can a chicken get an ear infection? Could that be the equilibrium problem? I'm watching that area better and we're cleaning the bottom of the cage sometimes several times a day now to keep the poop to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom