Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

It is with much sadness that I announce our poor Henny Penny passed away. She fought the good fight and we fought the good fight but she died quietly in her sleep early Monday Morning. There was nothing more we could have done. .

Two weeks ago she seemed tons better. Her neck was straight and she was actually eating on her own from a dish in the cage. .She was still laying down because she wasn't good on her feet but she was eating. We were never able to get a sling that worked but rolled up towels held her up and it worked. Then she stopped eating on her own and her neck rolled around worse than before. ..We were able to get her to eat while we were holding her and her head would be straight for that but she ate less and less and drank less and less. I'm glad she's no longer suffering. Thank you all so much for your guidance!

Awe so sorry to hear that, WOW she surely gave a good run for it.. She surely was a strong fighter. Now she can rest all she wants, Hands up to you for keeping her comfy and going as long as you did.. GREAT JOB..

It is with much sadness that I announce our poor Henny Penny passed away. She fought the good fight and we fought the good fight but she died quietly in her sleep early Monday Morning. There was nothing more we could have done. .

Two weeks ago she seemed tons better. Her neck was straight and she was actually eating on her own from a dish in the cage. .She was still laying down because she wasn't good on her feet but she was eating. We were never able to get a sling that worked but rolled up towels held her up and it worked.  Then she stopped eating on her own and her neck rolled around worse than before. ..We were able to get her to eat while we were holding her and her head would be straight for that but she ate less and less and drank less and less. I'm glad she's no longer suffering. Thank you all so much for your guidance!

Oh so sad :( , you did your best for your little one. :hugs

She was a fighter.. and I'm finding the sadness hard. I guess you don't live with a chicken in a cage and hand feed it for over a month and not get attached. Thanks everyone! She's surely in a much better place. Running and chasing bugs and eating as many meal worms as she can handle. That's how I kept her appetite as good as it was. If she seemed to lose interest in her food, I dropped a meal worm in it and she caught it, ate it and kept eating.

She was a fighter.. and I'm finding the sadness hard. I guess you don't live with a chicken in a cage and hand feed it for over a month and not get attached. Thanks everyone! She's surely in a much better place. Running and chasing bugs and eating as many meal worms as she can handle. That's how I kept her appetite as good as it was. If she seemed to lose interest in her food, I dropped a meal worm in it and she caught it, ate it and kept eating.

Awee what a sweet girl.

I think you should add one more ingredient, some Vitamin B complete, you can give her human kinds, just put one pill in a quart of water. Vitamin B is EXCELLENT for leg issues. Your on the right track, just remember they get worst before they get better.. So don't expect instant recovery, However once she does recover, don't just STOP all vitamins, gradually decrease it.

I personally do not use selenium, they can do without..
this what I have been doing...when I found out what she has she wa already unable to stand. I started her with nutri drench and then eye droppers of water and egg yolk/milk mix. I then made a soup out of pellets and milk and give her that with an eyedropper as well. the more I found out from reading here I added a 16th of a prednisone tablet I had left from my cat. that seemed to make an amazing difference in her. before she was almost in a comatose state. then she perked up. I also made her a little splint out of paper towel. so I finally got some vit E yesterday so I added that one caplet ( I mix it with a tad bit of poweraide) in an eyedropper in the morning. by afternoon she was eating it from a little cup I have to hold in front of her. yesterday I mixed her pellets with milk then added water and egg yolk and mixed in a 16th of a tab of prednisone. she is eating about 4 tablespoons a feeding now. she still doesn't want the water alone. a couple sips of poweraide here and there. she is more active now but sits up until she goes over backward. I tried making a sling but she wasn't comfortable and it was stressing her out so I just tuck towels around her and higher in the back so she can't flip. I lost another one a week ago. I had no clue what was wrong with her. Should I be adding something to the whole flock to prevent this? why is it happening in the first place? I give them all flock feed pellets. I started my flock on that a year ago when we still had ducks. I tried switching when I rehomed the ducks but the hens wouldn't eat it so I went back. the silkies have been on it since they finished the medicated crumbles this spring. I put vinegar in their water or sometimes the probiotic powder. they get a handful or so of scratch every day and they have a flock block in the run. Am I forgetting something?

this what I have been doing...when I found out what she has she wa already unable to stand. I started her with nutri drench and then eye droppers of water and egg yolk/milk mix. I then made a soup out of pellets and milk and give her that with an eyedropper as well. the more I found out from reading here I added a 16th of a prednisone tablet I had left from my cat. that seemed to make an amazing difference in her. before she was almost in a comatose state. then she perked up. I also made her a little splint out of paper towel. so I finally got some vit E yesterday so I added that one caplet ( I mix it with a tad bit of poweraide) in an eyedropper in the morning. by afternoon she was eating it from a little cup I have to hold in front of her. yesterday I mixed her pellets with milk then added water and egg yolk and mixed in a 16th of a tab of prednisone. she is eating about 4 tablespoons a feeding now. she still doesn't want the water alone. a couple sips of poweraide here and there. she is more active now but sits up until she goes over backward. I tried making a sling but she wasn't comfortable and it was stressing her out so I just tuck towels around her and higher in the back so she can't flip. I lost another one a week ago. I had no clue what was wrong with her. Should I be adding something to the whole flock to prevent this? why is it happening in the first place? I give them all flock feed pellets. I started my flock on that a year ago when we still had ducks. I tried switching when I rehomed the ducks but the hens wouldn't eat it so I went back. the silkies have been on it since they finished the medicated crumbles this spring. I put vinegar in their water or sometimes the probiotic powder. they get a handful or so of scratch every day and they have a flock block in the run. Am I forgetting something?

Are you having the same issue with more then one?????

yes I am. this is the third one in 2 months. I just never made a connection until now. the other 2 died before I could try and do anything for them. they both started the same way. off by themselves lethargic then head drooping. finally fell over and couldn't stand up. but not my leghorn hens which are over a year old. but the young ones 5 month old silkies and olive egger.

I am wondering the best way to keep her comfortable,,,first I had her surrounded by rolled towels, but she got down under them during the night and got over heated. she was panting when I checked on her. so yesterday I designed a sling out of a flour sack towel. that seemed to work well. I put a towel under her so she wasn't totally suspended all night. but she managed to squirm around enough that she was overheated again. we have wood heat so it can get quite warm in here. would taking all the towels out and letting her lay on her side be better? maybe a towel under her head? she looks so pitiful...
sad.png

I was given a chick that I believe has wry neck. I've already started treatment (vitamin E, Selenium, and savAchick electrolytes) and it's no longer keeping its head between its legs at a constant, but it's still doing front flips (this is the second day I've had her). Are front flips common for chicks with wry neck? She's also eating, but needs assistance drinking with a dropper.

Back
Top Bottom