Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Pics
No no eggs yet- she's still going :) I am concerned though as she still can't peak at ground. I'm starting to think she won't improve from here :(
I can feel a large vein or tenden running down the side of her neck which seems to be restricting her. I'm thinking its not suppose to be that close to her eye. I can feel it very well and it seems to be stopping her pulling the neck around.. She is still thin but eating well ( when I feed her) she still can't eat on her own. I'm feeling guilty as to how she lives and I'm contemplating a vet visit..
Over these months I have bonded closely to her and I will be heartbroken to loose her- but I'm thinking I need to be fair. Update more later

Well if you decided to take her to a vet, don't be surprise if he wants to do some testing which could include having her put down. Of course, that would be your decision and you don't have to agree to it.. But perhaps his opinion would help come to a conclusion on this. Don't get me wrong, I"M not saying go a head and put her down. OH HELL know, I'm not totally convinced that this is a case of wry neck, I do believe it is something else and what you are doing to keep her going is a miracle in its self. Your a strong person to take the time and wiliness to do this and She's one hell of a fighter. LOL.

She may have permanent damage to the neck area and won't ever be able to put it straight, but then One day she may get up and act totally normal like nothing ever happened.

it would be sooo cool if she would lay that egg and you can take it hatch out her baby and continue with the generation. that's what I'm hoping.. I know she can't hold all those eggs in her forever. She's going to have to give up some soon. LOL

So keep your head up high, stay strong and we are ALL with you on whatever Decision you make, I know it's been a LONG bumpy Road and you and her have already MASTERED the trail...

Thank you for the support :) Licorice is STILL with me lol and I haven't taken her to the vet YET. I must admit that I too think her neck is fused as it is and it's definitely why she can't eat on her own. After watching my girl daily for the last 6 months ( wow) I'm amazed at how she has SLOWLY improved. But I no longer think this is just wrye neck either :( she has gone from NOT being able stand and sleeping ALL day, being fed drop by drop from an eye dropper to standing , walking, scratching and eating on her own ( as long. I'm holding her with the bowl up to her beak) but- she does this really weird thing with her body. She stands SO tall she stands like a human. She throws her chest down and up and tries to untwist her neck. She still does this today. She also walks slightly jerky and her body is not balanced right. Although she doesn't fall over I can tell she isn't 100% balanced. I'm starting to think she has some neurological damage(??) I really don't know- but she also pops whilst in my lap just like popcorn. Actually exactly like pop corn. It's hard to hold her some days hehe...
Her beak keeps growing rapidly and I'm constantly trimming it. She is such a sweetheart and tries to climb on me whenever I sit with her ( daily) she is still very thin but is eating well. Tonight after her feed I noticed her do something for the FIRST time. She was opening her beak wide ( Luke a yawn) and her crop was pulling up at the same time. She did this over and over for a few minutes. Does anyone know why she was doing this??? I've never seen a chook yawn before let alone seen their crop lift..
Anyways we will continue this journey until I can be sure a vet visit is needed. But I am thinking neurological damage poor pet...

Deb, it's a long road you've travelled with licorice , but you haven't been alone. I don't know about the popping thing, but the yawning can come with upper respitory or gape worm.
Looks like you've got some more research to do. Poor thing, you'll become somewhat of an expert by the time this is over.

The croup think is adjusting her croup I think. If so that is good! It means she is eating her fill and needs to make room in her piggy self.

I had a dog attack yesterday that killed all but 2 of my silkies. It made me think of lichorish and all you are doing for her. I'm glad she is still kicking.

The croup think is adjusting her croup I think. If so that is good! It means she is eating her fill and needs to make room in her piggy self.

I had a dog attack yesterday that killed all but 2 of my silkies. It made me think of lichorish and all you are doing for her. I'm glad she is still kicking.

Sorry to hear about your dog troubles, I can't forget finding my little silkies dead after dog attack. This is the only one that survived

Her name is Ginger.

Back
Top Bottom