Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Pics
This is the first day we have seen any sort of improvement on our sick chick. Today she actually picked up her head and looked around. She's fighting our hands as we stand her up to feed her and give her water but when she pecks the feed, she's pecking it with such force that it's flying around. She's not as twisted at the neck as she was yesterday morning either. She seems to be frustrated that she can't get up and stand up so she's moving alot more, flopping more but still much more improved over the day before we started the vitahmin treatment.

Her right leg is still very much broken. The elbow is very swollen and bends backwards so that is a problem but really, it will have to wait some till we get past the wryneck and hopefully it will improve. I may just tape it straight to keep it from getting further hurt because she's trying so hard to kick.

I'm working toward getting her to eat a full 1/2 cup of starter crumbles each day. She's drinking about 1/2 cup of water a day and nearly a 1/2 cup of crumbles.

Poly vi Sol, Vitamin E, Vitamin B complex and just a pinch of Selenium every other day (this was skipped today since I gave it to her yesterday). She got a portion of multi vitamin this morning but I threw out that feed after the second feeding and started over without it.

Keeping going.. keeping going.

It sounds like you have a long road ahead of you. Nice to see some improvement. It might be worthwhile to make her a sling and get her off that leg. It would be a shame to get her past the wryneck and then have to euthanize her anyway. You might also give her a little aspirin for pain relief . Can you post a pic of her ?

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

This is the first day we have seen any sort of improvement on our sick chick. Today she actually picked up her head and looked around. She's fighting our hands as we stand her up to feed her and give her water but when she pecks the feed, she's pecking it with such force that it's flying around. She's not as twisted at the neck as she was yesterday morning either. She seems to be frustrated that she can't get up and stand up so she's moving alot more, flopping more but still much more improved over the day before we started the vitamin treatment.

Her right leg is still very much broken. The elbow is very swollen and bends backwards so that is a problem but really, it will have to wait some till we get past the wryneck and hopefully it will improve. I may just tape it straight to keep it from getting further hurt because she's trying so hard to kick.

I'm working toward getting her to eat a full 1/2 cup of starter crumbles each day. She's drinking about 1/2 cup of water a day and nearly a 1/2 cup of crumbles.

Poly vi Sol, Vitamin E, Vitamin B complex and just a pinch of Selenium every other day (this was skipped today since I gave it to her yesterday). She got a portion of multi vitamin this morning but I threw out that feed after the second feeding and started over without it.

Keeping going.. keeping going.
That's GREAT news to hear...WOO HOO, is the leg actually broken? can she stand on it at all, or can you feel that it's broken? She may have a slipped tendon

NO Aspirins, please do not give her any aspirins!!!!

Mississippi State University actually dif a study and foubd aspirin to be safe for chickens after 8 weeks of age in the following doseage: 1 81mg baby aspirin crushed and disolved in a quart of water. Do not givr in any other method as it's impossible to feed the correct dosage.

ASPIRIN SOLUTION

Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.

Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.

Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

Last edited:
As with anything it does carry risk but it may help with any inflammation of the joint.
I think that a pic of the leg would help . It's also important to use buffered aspirin.

Last edited:
Mississippi State University actually dif a study and foubd aspirin to be safe for chickens after 8 weeks of age in the following doseage: 1 81mg baby aspirin crushed and disolved in a quart of water. Do not givr in any other method as it's impossible to feed the correct dosage.

ASPIRIN SOLUTION

Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.

Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.

Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with this..

When a chicken brakes his leg or injuries his leg, it is recommended that you do not give pain medication. The reason for this is because they don't have the knowledge to stay off a broken leg. SO what they tend to do is use the leg because they can't feel it. So in order to keep them from using it or injuring the leg more, you should allow them to feel the pain. Pain tells them, OK Im not going to do that. It sounds harsh and cruel but In the long run it's the best thing for them. They tend to heal faster by staying off it versus injuring it more by using it.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with internally, it's all Mentally.

So I personally would NOT recommend giving the chicken ANYTHING that is going to take away the pain.

Back
Top Bottom