Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Pics
She's doing well this morning. I've been trying to figure out a sling for that leg but she struggles so much more now.
I'm at work during the day and only have a short time in the morning. I'm sorry I'm so clunky with the website and posting. I'm making errors, I know but I'm having trouble posting. Please have patience with this newbee.
Hubster is feeding her during the day and we're trying.
I appreciate all the suggestions. I'd be totally lost without you folks and she'd be dead.

Last edited:
I did give her something for the inflammation. Turmeric. She hated it and refused to eat. I love this chicken more and more because I hate curry foods too!

When a chicken brakes his leg or injuries his leg, it is recommended that you do not give pain medication.  The reason for this is because they don't have the knowledge to stay off a broken leg.  SO what they tend to do is use the leg because they can't feel it.  So in order to keep them from using it or injuring the leg more, you should allow them to feel the pain.  Pain tells them, OK Im not going to do that.  It sounds harsh and cruel but In the long run it's the best thing for them.  They tend to heal faster by staying off it versus injuring it more by using it.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with internally, it's all Mentally. 

So I personally would NOT recommend giving the chicken ANYTHING that is going to take away the pain.

I understand your theory, it's the same for horses but aspirin is not going to give that level of pain relief and it may help with swelling . If you read my previous post in its entirety , I recomended a sling to keep the hen off her leg .
It should also be said that any painkillers ending in ' Caine ' should be completly avoided.

I understand your theory, it's the same for horses but aspirin is not going to give that level of pain relief and it may help with swelling . If you read my previous post in its entirety , I recomended a sling to keep the hen off her leg .
It should also be said that any painkillers ending in ' Caine ' should be completly avoided.
I agree. With myself, I can't take the aspirin so for inflammation, I take turmeric. It's a miracle for inflammation and has none of the problems for the stomach. I tried turmeric and she hated it. I reasoned that getting the nutrition in her was more important than dealing with pain at the time.

I did give her something for the inflammation. Turmeric. She hated it and refused to eat. I love this chicken more and more because I hate curry foods too!

Believe it or not , chickens have no heat receptors in their beak so they can eat the hottest chillies and curries. Try mixing it in some soft scrambled egg or cooked rice.

I agree. With myself, I can't take the aspirin so for inflammation, I take turmeric. It's a miracle for inflammation and has none of the problems for the stomach. I tried turmeric and she hated it. I reasoned that getting the nutrition in her was more important than dealing with pain at the time.

The recomended ' buffered ' aspirin should be gentler.
This is the link I posted earlier. Scroll down to ' give painkillers ' for dosage.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

it's not going to help if it has slipped tendon.

Cooked rice might work.. Thanks. I had some left over rice with veggies that I've been giving the healthy girls. I'll give that a try.

We're still thinking about a sling for her. I'm thinking a cut off sock to hold her wings to her body (and keep the flappy stuff to an minimum) and then hook that to hang just above the floor of the cage so she can reach the food and water if she wants. I'll put a perch for her to hold onto but no weight on it so she feels more stable. Last night when she was laying down I put my hand in there and she clutched my fingers with her feet and sort of held on to that for a long time. It must be bad to not be able to stand if you really want to.. Poor baby!

Cooked rice might work.. Thanks. I had some left over rice with veggies that I've been giving the healthy girls. I'll give that a try.

We're still thinking about a sling for her. I'm thinking a cut off sock to hold her wings to her body (and keep the flappy stuff to an minimum) and then hook that to hang just above the floor of the cage so she can reach the food and water if she wants. I'll put a perch for her to hold onto but no weight on it so she feels more stable. Last night when she was laying down I put my hand in there and she clutched my fingers with her feet and sort of held on to that for a long time. It must be bad to not be able to stand if you really want to.. Poor baby!
I would not recommend rice..

can you send a pic of it.

Back
Top Bottom