Wyandotte Wasting Away

Songster
Aug 30, 2022
Chesterfield, VA
I have a Wyandotte hen that we noticed getting smaller and keeping to herself. We isolated her and gave her Valbazen as a dewormer. When we brought her into the garage, she was ravenous and ate the heck out of fermented grain. Then she wasn’t eating much, so I started making scrambled eggs for her in the mornings. She would eat an entire egg no problem for a few days but stopped. Gave her some leftover meat a few nights ago she ate a good amount of then didn’t want it the next day. The only thing she will consistently eat are meal worms!

We moved her to a pet crate on the front porch because we thought she was getting depressed in the garage but still had to keep separate from backyard flock, but she won’t come out unless you pick her up, and her food and water is not in the crate. She will forage a bit if you force her off the front porch. Poop is liquidy. It’s been a week since her second dose of Valbazen. Besides the weight she looks fine…nothing odd about her appearance except waddle is pale. She just doesn’t want to do much.

Should we try a round of Corid? No idea what else to for her.

Does she have mites or lice? I would give her a liquid vitamin supplement and treat her for mites and lice. Corid wouldn't hurt either.
I don’t think she has mites or lice but I will check through her feathers today. We had been giving her nutridrench and can start that regimen up again.

Do you know if she's drinking? If not, I'd give her liquid through a syringe. You could try adding electrolytes into her water. Have you tried an antibiotic? She may have something bacterial going on. You can find Tylan 50 at Tractor Supply and other farm stores. Either give it orally or through a shot.

Do you know if she's drinking? If not, I'd give her liquid through a syringe. You could try adding electrolytes into her water. Have you tried an antibiotic? She may have something bacterial going on. You can find Tylan 50 at Tractor Supply and other farm stores. Either give it orally or through a shot.
She’s not drinking or eating much. She’s not doing much of anything anymore. No lice/mites.

I don’t want to over medicate her. Which would you do…Tylan or Corid? Liquid droppings.

Hello! I would give her nutri drench, dip her beak into it and watch her drink before dipping again. Also offer sweetened water, maple syrup or honey. This will increase her blood sugar and boost her appetite. I've used this technique many many times, even just this week!

If you can keep her with her sisters that would be good for her morale.

Hello! I would give her nutri drench, dip her beak into it and watch her drink before dipping again. Also offer sweetened water, maple syrup or honey. This will increase her blood sugar and boost her appetite. I've used this technique many many times, even just this week!

If you can keep her with her sisters that would be good for her morale.
Thanks I will try that. I can’t keep her with the flock they will not be friendly to her. She keeps to herself anyway and running from any attack will take all she’s got left.

I’m afraid the flock sticks together and she’s on the outs. As it should be tho!
How old is she and is she the only Wyandotte in your flock? Did you just purchase her recently or did they all grew up together?

With all the extra food and being away from the flock, does she have free access to crushed oyster shells and granite grit?

She might be starting a hard moult.

Back
Top Bottom