Wyandotte Wasting Away

I have a Wyandotte hen that we noticed getting smaller and keeping to herself. We isolated her and gave her Valbazen as a dewormer. When we brought her into the garage, she was ravenous and ate the heck out of fermented grain. Then she wasn’t eating much, so I started making scrambled eggs for her in the mornings. She would eat an entire egg no problem for a few days but stopped. Gave her some leftover meat a few nights ago she ate a good amount of then didn’t want it the next day. The only thing she will consistently eat are meal worms!

I don’t want to over medicate her. Which would you do…Tylan or Corid? Liquid droppings.
How old is she?
Please post photos of her and her poop?
Does she lay eggs? If so, when was the last one?
Is she molting?

I'd work on getting her to eat her normal feed.
Is her crop emptying overnight?

Corid will treat Coccidiosis, it would be a good idea to get a fecal float to see if it's needed. It won't hurt her to treat if the fecal float is not possible.
Do not give Extra Vitamins or Supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) when treating with Corid.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Tylan/Tylosin is an antibiotic. It's commonly used to treat Respiratory Infections due to CRD or Mycoplasma. Does she have any respiratory symptoms?
Most all antibiotics were removed from shelves mid-2023 so it's unlikely you will find much in stores. If you feel she needs an antibiotic for (???) then ordering online is the way to go, but it's always best have a general idea what you are trying to treat. There are options of course, Tylan/Tylosin, Amoxicillin, Sulfa Drugs, etc. etc.

She perked up on Wed and started eating and drinking more than I had seen her do. Tail was up. But yesterday she kinda went back to how she was. Tail down not moving much. Eating and drinking very little.

How old is she?
Please post photos of her and her poop?
Does she lay eggs? If so, when was the last one?
Is she molting?

I'd work on getting her to eat her normal feed.
Is her crop emptying overnight?

Corid will treat Coccidiosis, it would be a good idea to get a fecal float to see if it's needed. It won't hurt her to treat if the fecal float is not possible.
Do not give Extra Vitamins or Supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) when treating with Corid.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Tylan/Tylosin is an antibiotic. It's commonly used to treat Respiratory Infections due to CRD or Mycoplasma. Does she have any respiratory symptoms?
Most all antibiotics were removed from shelves mid-2023 so it's unlikely you will find much in stores. If you feel she needs an antibiotic for (???) then ordering online is the way to go, but it's always best have a general idea what you are trying to treat. There are options of course, Tylan/Tylosin, Amoxicillin, Sulfa Drugs, etc. etc.
She is about 15 months old. No eggs not sure when the last one was. She is down to 3lbs. Crop is emptying. Poop is runny and has been. She is not molting. She was dewormed with Valbazen 2nd dose was 12/7 no improvement. Just finished course of powdered Corid but dosed it directly as a drench via syringe according to her weight. Unfortunately I also have been giving her VitaDrench which I assume has B1.

Not sure what else to do for her. It’s been suspected in necropsy reports that we have Marek’s in the flock, and I know that can present in a number of ways as I have seen.

Ok. Is there lots of yellow runny discharge on her vent feathers? Is her abdomen swollen at all? If so is it hard or soft?
Yellow droppings, with the described symptoms lean more towards bacterial infection than coccidiosis.

Did you notice if she seemed excessively thirsty at any point?

Ok. Is there lots of yellow runny discharge on her vent feathers? Is her abdomen swollen at all? If so is it hard or soft?
Yellow droppings, with the described symptoms lean more towards bacterial infection than coccidiosis.

Did you notice if she seemed excessively thirsty at any point?
Not excessively thirsty. I have not noticed swelling I will check today. Thank you. I will go ahead and order Tylan if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom