Wyoming Unite!!!!

I think March is a little early For trying to start anything In a greenhouse unless there is some kind of heat in it at night. Last year's calendar showed that we had 10 degrees in the middle of April. We will usually start radishes and cabbages late in April and we will put tomatoes in there early in May but we always have a way to cover them in case of a late cold snap. There have been times that we have put a small heat lamp in with the plants. Our greenhouse doesn't hold heat at all since it is 12' x 24' and 8' tall.

Like R2elk says, the heat thru the day can be a problem. It can be 60 outside and 90's inside the greenhouse. So it is something you have to be careful with.

One of the best things about a greenhouse here in Wyoming is that it protects your plants
from the wind and hail. That has destroyed our outdoor gardens many times over the years.
And a greenhouse does help the ground to warm up faster so plants can be started sooner.
The plants seem to grow faster and produce sooner when they are protected. I think you will wonder how you got by without one. :old

Thanks, I’ll have to follow that thread. Pretty cool to see those tropical plants here. You guys are inspiring me to try things…
I think March is a little early For trying to start anything In a greenhouse unless there is some kind of heat in it at night. Last year's calendar showed that we had 10 degrees in the middle of April. We will usually start radishes and cabbages late in April and we will put tomatoes in there early in May but we always have a way to cover them in case of a late cold snap. There have been times that we have put a small heat lamp in with the plants. Our greenhouse doesn't hold heat at all since it is 12' x 24' and 8' tall.

Like R2elk says, the heat thru the day can be a problem. It can be 60 outside and 90's inside the greenhouse. So it is something you have to be careful with.

One of the best things about a greenhouse here in Wyoming is that it protects your plants
from the wind and hail. That has destroyed our outdoor gardens many times over the years.
And a greenhouse does help the ground to warm up faster so plants can be started sooner.
The plants seem to grow faster and produce sooner when they are protected. I think you will wonder how you got by without one. :old
I did have the hail destroy so many things last year. I just got a good idea. I will put my birds of paradise plant in there and see if it’ll grow flowers this summer.

I have seeds started inside right now, I was thinking April seemed like a good time to aim for, of course I’ll have to prepare for if the temps suddenly drop, like you said.

Back
Top Bottom