Yet another 'can my chicks go outside' question...

Dinogrrl

Songster
Aug 17, 2019
North Carolina
This is my second time raising chicks, but last time I had chicks in the middle of summer. It was so hot outside I was able to throw them out in their pen before 4 weeks of age. There were also 13 of them so they had plenty of friends to keep company and warmth if needed.

I have three chicks right now, just turned 4 weeks old, various mixed breeds (game fowl rooster, two chicks from my EEs and one from my wyandotte). Tossed them out in their pen today as they're getting quite stir-crazy in the brooder and driving everyone batty. It started in the 60's today, now it's raining lightly on and off and in the 50's and they all seem to be doing just fine. May get down to 49-ish tonight, but the rest of the week's forecast is no lower than mid 50's at night, and upper 60's to 70's during the day, a little rain on and off during the week.

Their pen is covered and has an end that is sheltered from wind, and they have a snuggle box with plenty of wood shavings they can huddle in if they want. Think they're okay to stay outside at night in these temps?

Not lower than 50 at night, my Opinion is YES. That said my 5 week old's are in coop with 40's at night and a mommy hut to get under if they get cold. I don't take the MH away until they just don't use it anymore. They have been sleeping on top of it so they are clearly still wanting a little heat. Can you give them a heating pad (extension cord maybe?) You'd have all bases covered and not worry about them.... Just an idea.

Yea, that sounds like they might be ready to go outside. I'd probably do a few last minute check-ins with them before going through with the overnight process - putting them out there in the morning, then leaving them outside all day, checking in every couple hours to make sure everything is still good. If no issues arise, then yea, it might be time for them to live outside full time!

What temperature are they used to having in their brooder?

If the brooder is in your house, it usually makes sense to take away the brooder heat a few days before you move the chicks outside. (Because moving from 90 degrees to 50 is a bigger change than moving from 90 degrees down to 70, and a few days later down to 50.)

(I agree with the other posters that your chicks are probably about ready to move out, so I'm just checking on a detail I didn't see yet.)

It's about 70 in my house, the kitchen where the brooder is can sometimes be a few degrees cooler as it's got big windows that aren't well insulated. Current outside temp is 57. The chicks are on one of the roosting perches snuggled together currently.

I'd definitely love to get an outdoor heater of some sort, unfortunately that's not in the budget right now. On the list for the future!

It's about 70 in my house, the kitchen where the brooder is can sometimes be a few degrees cooler as it's got big windows that aren't well insulated. Current outside temp is 57. The chicks are on one of the roosting perches snuggled together currently.
That sounds good!
If they're already used to the temperature in your kitchen (without additional heat), they should be fine with the outdoor temperatures you've got.

I'd definitely love to get an outdoor heater of some sort, unfortunately that's not in the budget right now. On the list for the future!

You shouldn't need an outdoor heater for chickens in your climate, except for brooding chicks.

You can brood chicks outdoors (in the coop) with a brooder plate or a heat lamp. The heat lamp is cheaper to buy, and works very well, as long as you are careful that it does not start a fire. The brooder plate costs more to buy, uses less electricity, and usually says not to use it in places below a certain temperature. For either of those, you would also need an extension cord rated for outdoor use, long enough to reach from your house to your coop.

Heat lamps do have a reputation for getting knocked down and setting things on fire, so do be careful if you use one. I've used heat lamps for years without trouble, but I am always careful with how I secure it.

Back
Top Bottom