Yet another 'can my chicks go outside' question...

This probably a very controversial opinion… but I put my chicks straight outside at around 3/4 weeks old, even in the winter (as long as it’s not literally freezing) and they’ve always been fine. If anything they usually feather quicker and adapt.
But it’s completely up to you and your judgement really. I’m in the UK so 49 is around 10°C I believe. I think they’ll be okay.

This probably a very controversial opinion… but I put my chicks straight outside at around 3/4 weeks old, even in the winter (as long as it’s not literally freezing) and they’ve always been fine. If anything they usually feather quicker and adapt.
But it’s completely up to you and your judgement really. I’m in the UK so 49 is around 10°C I believe. I think they’ll be okay.
TBH, if you have a properly draft-resistant and dry area to sleep and lots of other chicks to cuddle together for warmth, that doesn't sound too bad. Those little nuggets are miniature spaceheaters.

TBH, if you have a properly draft-resistant and dry area to sleep and lots of other chicks to cuddle together for warmth, that doesn't sound too bad. Those little nuggets are miniature spaceheaters.
Exactly, they had loads of bedding, I never even saw them shiver. They were also straight in with the older flock, for the first day they got pecked a little but then they just kept themselves to themselves (it was quite a large area) they are now the same size and have integrated into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom