YO GEORGIANS! :)

Princess Cleo passed in my arms about an hour and a half ago. Marek's is a terrible disease that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. I hope none of you have to watch your chickens go through it. Her feisty personality will surely be missed.

On another note, I've been thinking... I know I said I wouldn't get another RIR but her personality was like fire, so feisty and I will miss it. I would probably get another, not anytime soon though because I will not be getting anymore chickens anytime soon.

So sorry to hear that!
But look into sending her to the Georgia Poultry Lab for a necropsy. It's free of charge (only costs postage to send it), and you will find out for sure if it was Marek's or not!

Where can we get chickens in south GA?
welcome-byc.gif

Any particular breeds?

Princess Cleo passed in my arms about an hour and a half ago. Marek's is a terrible disease that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. I hope none of you have to watch your chickens go through it. Her feisty personality will surely be missed.
Sorry to hear, sending good vibes your way

Last edited:

This little girl is not letting me give up. Known as "Mommy-Ommy" after going broody three times last year, she is acting odd this week. She is normally curious and friendly, but she is following me almost everywhere right now! Even two feet away! If I don't pick her up while I am in the pen, she flies up onto my back!

But despite laying very sporadically all spring, this entire week since Skeeter disapppeared, she has laid an egg every single day, as if to say "don't quit yet!"

And her eggs are a valuable hatch because they are frizzles. So lords knows they won't go to the fridge.

And in this pic, she is sitting very contently in her favorite place for this week... in my hand. Usually she'll let you carry her, but keeps looking down for a sign of bugs. But not since Skeeter left - she just wants to sit in my hand (or on me).

Isn't is funny how animals really do seem to sense our emotions?

Thank you. We already buried her. It had to have been that because of the following symptoms: green poo, legs paralyzed, loss of appetite, feet ended up not being able to lay flat, and irregular breathing caused by tumors on the organs. I couldn't find any other illness that had all of those symptoms.
So sorry to hear that!
But look into sending her to the Georgia Poultry Lab for a necropsy. It's free of charge (only costs postage to send it), and you will find out for sure if it was Marek's or not!

:welcome

Any particular breeds?

Sorry to hear, sending good vibes your way

Thank you

This little girl is not letting me give up. Known as "Mommy-Ommy" after going broody three times last year, she is acting odd this week. She is normally curious and friendly, but she is following me almost everywhere right now! Even two feet away! If I don't pick her up while I am in the pen, she flies up onto my back!

But despite laying very sporadically all spring, this entire week since Skeeter disapppeared, she has laid an egg every single day, as if to say "don't quit yet!"

And her eggs are a valuable hatch because they are frizzles. So lords knows they won't go to the fridge.

And in this pic, she is sitting very contently in her favorite place for this week... in my hand. Usually she'll let you carry her, but keeps looking down for a sign of bugs. But not since Skeeter left - she just wants to sit in my hand (or on me).

Isn't is funny how animals really do seem to sense our emotions?
she is tiny!!!! I'm guessing bantam just because of her size?

Quote:
We have a 2.5 acre pond and free range our 26 ducks. No problems with them leaving at all. We do get time to time drop ins and even had a family of wild Black Bellied Whistling ducks move in for a while and raise four ducklings. The ducks generally don't get too far from the pond, they like to be able to get in the water quick if they feel threatened.
More questions!!! Do you have a dog? Is it a problem? We have a golden retriever that we've taught to chase off herons and geese. He doesn't seem to bother the random duck that has stopped over in the past. Just curious if instinct ends up coming into play with ducks.. ---- 6 silkie chicks (please be hens!), 1 Golden Retriever, 1 Cat, 2 rescued kittens, 3 ferrets, and thousands of fish!

More questions!!! Do you have a dog? Is it a problem? We have a golden retriever that we've taught to chase off herons and geese. He doesn't seem to bother the random duck that has stopped over in the past. Just curious if instinct ends up coming into play with ducks..

----
6 silkie chicks (please be hens!), 1 Golden Retriever, 1 Cat, 2 rescued kittens, 3 ferrets, and thousands of fish!

No we don't have a dog. We have five dogs. All of them are good with the ducks. The recognize them as part of our pack. My dog Griz chases anything that is not part of the family and goes crazy trying to get herons and egrets when they come around but the ducks are her babies and she watches over them like they really are hers. When we have eggs hatching in the incubator she sits and stares the whole time. Just take time with your dog and introduce him to the ducks and show that they are family. Watch over him and them until you feel completely sure that everyone is going to get along.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom