YO GEORGIANS! :)

I am trying to learn this forum. Please forgive me if I mess up. Hope I am posting in the right spot. I have not decided on a breed yet, but have narrowed it down to a few lol

Austorlorpe
New Hampshire
Speckled Sussex
Wyandotte
Columbian Black Tail
Easter Eggers
Leghorn
Orpington

I thought the Legbar and the Pyncheon were pretty, but think those might be a bit too exotic for us. We just want laying hens, gentle enough for grandkids to enjoy and would like prettiness also. A few non-white colored eggs would be a bonus :)

We are in south GA near the FL line. Only plan to have around 10

Yes. She is actually mixed breed, but most people around here don't care when it comes to frizzle. They just want a curly-feathered chicken.

She's very pretty

I am trying to learn this forum. Please forgive me if I mess up. Hope I am posting in the right spot.  I have not decided on a breed yet, but have narrowed it down to a few lol

Austorlorpe
New Hampshire
Speckled Sussex
Wyandotte
Columbian Black Tail
Easter Eggers
Leghorn
Orpington

I thought the Legbar and the Pyncheon were pretty, but think those might be a bit too exotic for us.  We just want laying hens, gentle enough for grandkids to enjoy and would like prettiness also.  A few non-white colored eggs would be a bonus :)

I have had speckeled Sussex, wyandottes, and Easter eggers and they are all very friendly. The grandkids would really like Easter eggers because they lay colored eggs.

What about compatibility among these? Which of these breeds get along best? Thought we would have at least 2 diff varities

Ohhh mind posting how you made your auto refill system? I know I can find plumbing parts its a simple plastic jug might be harder but they got plastic barrels here with lids might work. I use one now with a spigot to store run off water from my cooler. Here everything id DIY

What about compatibility among these? Which of these breeds get along best? Thought we would have at least 2 diff varities
All of those breeds would get along pretty well. Chickens don't usually have a problem with different breeds getting along. There are SOME exceptions, like my Sumatras (who want to dominate everything), but all of those you listed aren't in that list of exceptions.

My reply didnt work correctly, my last post is for the gentleman with wolf in the screen name. And to the newcomer with 10 chickens! Im sure you wont stay that way for long lol. I started with two I got 16 now. 1 confirmed roo and 15 pray for some hens or im making a bachelor pad on my balcony and work on stud fees lol. Trying to get a cage built this week but FIL still in hospital. Plus with recent turmoil folks staying close to home and stocking up on supplies. I cant worry too much im as safe as anyone else. God listens to my prayers same as theirs.
Welcome to more new folks and be sure to check out various links and forums you got folks asking questions and giving answers all the time so sure someone can help you along. Im going to try to photograph all mine again today so updates as I can and any help with ID of breeds and sexes helps me. My little chicks are all acting like a bunch of roos rearing up, fly by pecking and stare downs. Hilarious.

I have not decided on roosters yet. I know you only need 1 as it causes issues if you have more. I will try and take more pictures this weekend.
It *can* cause issues if you have more. I had two that grew up with each other, along with all of the hens and they were actually fine UNTIL one of them was attacked by dogs. He got out alive, but he didn't trust anyone after that and began attacking people.

But I've always had more than one rooster housed together at some point. Even Skeeter was fine, as long as he had HIS hens, and the other rooster didn't mess with those hens. So as long as you have enough hens, you should be fine with more than one. Some say the best ratio is about 4 to 1.

I am trying to learn this forum. Please forgive me if I mess up. Hope I am posting in the right spot. I have not decided on a breed yet, but have narrowed it down to a few lol

Austorlorpe
New Hampshire
Speckled Sussex
Wyandotte
Columbian Black Tail
Easter Eggers
Leghorn
Orpington

I thought the Legbar and the Pyncheon were pretty, but think those might be a bit too exotic for us. We just want laying hens, gentle enough for grandkids to enjoy and would like prettiness also. A few non-white colored eggs would be a bonus :)

I would suggest getting one of 10 different breeds! That way you can have different colored eggs and you can recognize one chicken from the other. (Or else get lots of Easter Eggers as they all grow out different and have different colored eggs. You never know what you are going to get! One of my favorites!)

Some of my egg colors..
All my different breeds get along fine.

Back
Top Bottom