YO GEORGIANS! :)

HOLY DRAMA BATCHICKEN! (in place of a long string of cuss words)

I was watching a the chick cam on my laptop and saw one chick darting around and around the incubator. I had never seen that before and then then my eyes caught the temp inside.... 109.... I ran so darn fast and cussed the whole way that all the kids heard me... ohps.

In short, our 4 year old moved the dial and about cooked the incubator. It must have been that high for at least 30 minutes. 2 hatched chicks were not moving, 2 slugish, and 1 darting all over panicked. I sprayed them with cool water and put them in the cool side of the brooder. I sprayed the eggs with cool water too let the temp get back down to 100 before putting the lid back on.

Not sure what will survive. With eggs in there not due for another 2 weeks and all the temp issues tonight.... not to mention the 4 pipped eggs that don't seem to be doing much. One other egg has hatched since I closed it up again but I am leaving it in there. The newest egg is the only one that made it to lock down that I got from your daughter @valleychicks I really hope it makes it. It looks so dark but I know that it has to dry and go white because of it's parents! No dry photos of the others yet, as mentioned I sprayed them to get the cooler than 109!

-sigh- What a night. We put a child lock on the closet door so hopefully this should never happen again! I also reminded the older kids and husband what temp it should always be at and where our dial should be set.

Thank goodness for the cam and that crazy chick getting my attention. I would not have gone to check on them personally for a few more hours and by then everything most certainly would have been dead!

HOLY DRAMA BATCHICKEN! (in place of a long string of cuss words)

I was watching a the chick cam on my laptop and saw one chick darting around and around the incubator. I had never seen that before and then then my eyes caught the temp inside.... 109.... I ran so darn fast and cussed the whole way that all the kids heard me... ohps.

In short, our 4 year old moved the dial and about cooked the incubator. It must have been that high for at least 30 minutes. 2 hatched chicks were not moving, 2 slugish, and 1 darting all over panicked. I sprayed them with cool water and put them in the cool side of the brooder. I sprayed the eggs with cool water too let the temp get back down to 100 before putting the lid back on.

Not sure what will survive. With eggs in there not due for another 2 weeks and all the temp issues tonight.... not to mention the 4 pipped eggs that don't seem to be doing much. One other egg has hatched since I closed it up again but I am leaving it in there. The newest egg is the only one that made it to lock down that I got from your daughter @valleychicks I really hope it makes it. It looks so dark but I know that it has to dry and go white because of it's parents! No dry photos of the others yet, as mentioned I sprayed them to get the cooler than 109!

-sigh- What a night. We put a child lock on the closet door so hopefully this should never happen again! I also reminded the older kids and husband what temp it should always be at and where our dial should be set.

Thank goodness for the cam and that crazy chick getting my attention. I would not have gone to check on them personally for a few more hours and by then everything most certainly would have been dead!
Oh Geez! Yeah, lock on closet door sounds like a good idea. We had to do that when ours were little because that is where Christmas and birthday gifts were hidden. Were you saying that the Silkie egg you got from Loco hatched or was in the process of hatching? I hope they all do just fine and hatch for you!

Oh Geez! Yeah, lock on closet door sounds like a good idea. We had to do that when ours were little because that is where Christmas and birthday gifts were hidden. Were you saying that the Silkie egg you got from Loco hatched or was in the process of hatching? I hope they all do just fine and hatch for you!

Yup, one of the eggs I got from loco made it to lockdown and hatched, it is still in the bator. I hope it makes it! I had a second one from loco in there soon but when I candled it today it looked like it had a blood ring in the air sac so I think it was a very late quiter but we will see!

:( very sad to have to say this, but after a bad fall that chipped a vertebrae and many tense conversations with my DH, I'm not going to have chickens for a long while. A friend is going to take my five buffs. Going to ortho dr and neurologist in the next few weeks. ER dr said I will most likely have to have surgery on my neck UGGGG. Due to my other health crap, I can't take pain meds. So for now I have to take care of my health and chickens and all my projects are over for at least a yr or more :barnie :hit :hit thank you so much for all the help you all have given me and I hope one day I can start again.

sad.png
very sad to have to say this, but after a bad fall that chipped a vertebrae and many tense conversations with my DH, I'm not going to have chickens for a long while. A friend is going to take my five buffs. Going to ortho dr and neurologist in the next few weeks. ER dr said I will most likely have to have surgery on my neck UGGGG. Due to my other health crap, I can't take pain meds. So for now I have to take care of my health and chickens and all my projects are over for at least a yr or more
barnie.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
thank you so much for all the help you all have given me and I hope one day I can start again.

So very sorry to hear about your health issues and back problems! I know it will be hard for you, especially not being able to take pain meds. Let us know when you are ready to have chickens again and maybe if we all chip in one chick or chicken, you can rebuild you a new flock in no time! Keep in touch! Even if you don't have chickens, we would like to hear from you!

I'm glad to be a part of this community. When I was a teen, my parents bought some land and started a small farm. We had ~20 chickens at any given time. We currently live in a sub-division (no chickens allowed), and in the process of moving, our close date is Aug 8. In our new house, NO subdivision! (will never live in one again) we have just over an acre of land, and want to start up with chickens. Currently doing research on Coops, Chicken types, etc.

My young daughter and wife want Silkies, I want a bigger chicken that produces bigger eggs.

I come here to learn a coop design and breeds of chickens and will start building the coop shortly after we move in, less than two weeks!

I am so sorry to hear this news. Chickens provide so much company and fun and hopefully you will be able to get back in the game before too awfully long. I am recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and have other health situations too and sometimes it takes all I can to get out and feed the horses, chickens, pheasants, cats and dogs but they bring so much joy to me that I just power through the bad days. But a vertabrae issue is something else and I hope you will become pain free.

Back
Top Bottom