YO GEORGIANS! :)

Sold 15 chicks!  Guy was a friend of a guy who always buys my chicks. He told me they like my chicks because Beau is the daddy and they grow so big.  They eat them all!  :hit and they like that they get so big!  As I am putting them in the box, I am silently asking for their forgiveness!  I'm so weird like that!  I could never work in a processing center!  I would be letting them all go yelling, "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!" 

Haha! Oh no!! I'm sorry, it's one of those funny but really not funny things. The thought of having hundreds of chickens running down the road in Douglas where our processing plant is lol. I'm sure we will eat ours one day, but it will be a don't ask don't tell situation, and definitely not TALK about it. I'd have had to of asked them to discontinue chatting so casually in front of the chicks
1f649.png

Last edited:
Sold 15 chicks! Guy was a friend of a guy who always buys my chicks. He told me they like my chicks because Beau is the daddy and they grow so big. They eat them all!
hit.gif
and they like that they get so big! As I am putting them in the box, I am silently asking for their forgiveness! I'm so weird like that! I could never work in a processing center! I would be letting them all go yelling, "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

I would be the same way. During my years in Marketing for Shaw Contract Group I went to a meeting at one of the plants in Dalton. Behind the building was a railroad track and on the other side was a big white building. There was one gap where you could see a belt moving with chickens on it and then you could see it dump them out. They could have jumped or something but they just rode on the belt and flapped their little wings when it dumped them out.

I sold to a guy years ago and I wondered why he kept coming back but figured he just like the chicks. They were bantam cochins and after a few years of buying God knows how many, I found out he was feeding them to his pet snake. After that, I have not and do not want to know why someone is buying from me. Don't ask, don't tell!
hmm.png

DH wants to know what everyone does about flies. My idea was to put a lot of DE on the area. He wants to put up fly strips. Does anyone know about fly catcher bags?

I don't sell to anyone I think they will use the birds in fights, I would rather know it went for food. I have even called and followed up on how my birds are doing if I know they are not for food. My girls are getting back into egg production!! and the mom's have all decided the babies are big enough, they to me are still babies, abandoned so soon. I have one bantam/LF mix who now is broody, I gave her one egg to hatch and I hope that will make the last one for this season.

DH wants to know what everyone does about flies. My idea was to put a lot of DE on the area. He wants to put up fly strips. Does anyone know about fly catcher bags?
DE won't help with flies, it doesn't really help with much at all. Did you build the poo tray? I have sweet pdz in mine, it dries the poo quickly, no odor = no flies

if that's not the cause, I wouldn't use strips, get one of the hanging jugs that you mix the chemical in, those work very well. Never used a bag so can't comment on that

DH wants to know what everyone does about flies.  My idea was to  put a lot of DE on the area.  He wants to put up fly strips.  Does anyone know about fly catcher bags?

I take a 2 litre bottle, cut the top third off and invert it then tape it back together like a funnel.

Drop a piece of raw meat in, and about an inch of water and then put or hang it near the coop. Works great and cheaper than the bought traps. It did attract a possum to my yard, but the dogs chased it off.

The bags has the chemical in it and you just add water to the line marked on the side, they fill up fast, but I have only just started having fly problems again, the one coop is hard to clean up, and the rain today didn't help. Everything is yecky.

Back
Top Bottom