YO GEORGIANS! :)

Lol!! I read the directions, just expected it to be more gelatinous than liquid. Eh...just got on my skin...no clothes were harmed.
That stuff is great for everything and treats all kinds of animals and ailments. I even used it on me, I had a spot on my shin that drove me crazy, tried everything even with to the doc. out of desperation Blucoat to the rescue, figured it would either kill or cure!!
duc.gif

I got my first egg from one of my welsummers today. Nice chocolate speckled egg, here's a pic next to one of the australorp eggs. These are going to make some beautiful olive eggers

I expect they'll get bigger too, as this is the absolute first one, so being smaller isn't a concern, yet

I thought I might give an update on our 14 ISA brown girls that some of you asked for early on..

They will be 24 weeks old tuesday 8/16. We got our 1st egg on monday 6/27 when they were 14 weeks and 6 days old. We got the 2nd egg on july 4th and it has been building ever since. We got 9 to 12 eggs a day 7/21 thru 7/26. Since then we have been getting 13 or 14 each day with the occasional 12 thrown in. We get 14 about one third of the time, 13 about half the time with and 12 about 15 % of the time. Their reputation as egg laying machines seems to be correct, at least for now.

We get one double yolk almost every day and about 50% of the time we get 2...like today. The 2 at the left are double yolk. We have gotten 13 eggs today (Sunday 8/14) so far and I doubt we will get another as they usually lay before 11 AM...although there is the rare egg after lunch...and I just checked and did get the 14 egg today.

Most of the eggs are standard size like our buff orpington's...some a little bigger. As yet we have not seen the large to xtra large eggs as advertised (except the double yolk). However we are well pleased with the size eggs we are getting...if they get larger that will be great. We have not seen any evidence of health issues. They are very mild mannered with us but not so much with the BO's...but get along well enough that we have put them all together. We have a BO rooster who is just finding his hormones and has been chasing the BO pullets (who are several weeks away from being ready for his attentions) and he is working overtime since we put the ISA's in with the BO's. :)

I really like the ISA browns so far and will probably get more in the future if all continues to go well. There are GREAT little egg layers...!

I got my first egg from one of my welsummers today. Nice chocolate speckled egg, here's a pic next to one of the australorp eggs. These are going to make some beautiful olive eggers I expect they'll get bigger too, as this is the absolute first one, so being smaller isn't a concern, yet
Woo-hoo! That means mine shouldn't be far behind either. Gorgeous color! The first of our spring pullets just started laying this past week, and she's a blue egg layer too!

Do they go in a coop at night? We have a pond, but don't know where to house ducks? We want some but The chicken coop is full!
Gam has an island, and logs in the pond they can go on to and she has a house on the island and little shelters around the pond, when the ducks were at my house I had a pen they would go into at night to keep them safe, just a small pen and then they would come out during the day and when they wanted to rest they would go into the pen. Years ago when I had my man made little pond I had a duck and I put out a dog house with straw for her but she didn't use it so I let so some grass grow up and she would go and make her nests in there the yard was fenced in.

None of my ducks are locked up unless they have a specific need (health, dietary, etc.) ... those that fly sometimes go into the chicken pens, the rest use the water to protect themselves. In fact, even when it is frigid cold during winter they still use it ... they take turns swimming around the group to keep an area from freezing ... an area large enough that they can go to the middle of it and still be out of reach of adventurous predators. Very cool stuff, really.

katsdar ... all 3 of the babies are doing great! The Pekin boys are still glued to each other and switch back and forth between being on their own and being part of the group. Little miss Mallard as fully taken up with the group and more often than not is right next to her handsome Mallard male. woohoo!

None of my ducks are locked up unless they have a specific need (health, dietary, etc.) ... those that fly sometimes go into the chicken pens, the rest use the water to protect themselves. In fact, even when it is frigid cold during winter they still use it ... they take turns swimming around the group to keep an area from freezing ... an area large enough that they can go to the middle of it and still be out of reach of adventurous predators. Very cool stuff, really.

katsdar ... all 3 of the babies are doing great! The Pekin boys are still glued to each other and switch back and forth between being on their own and being part of the group. Little miss Mallard as fully taken up with the group and more often than not is right next to her handsome Mallard male. woohoo!
Oh that is wonderful, love is in the air, I'm so glad they have a great home and maybe the boys will find miss Peking in the mix. they haven't even been there a week and settled in so fast.
woot.gif

The big hurdle with girl Mallard will be this fall/winter ... as the wild ducks pass through on their southern journey, will she stay or will she go? Hopefully she will find life easy enough and happy enough at the farm and not be tempted to wonder off. haha

Still can't get over how huge those Pekin boys are.

Back
Top Bottom