YO GEORGIANS! :)

OK @Flowerbh , here's a pic of some of my chickens!
IMG_20180528_154809[1].jpg

We processed 30 of the Cornish cross this weekend. They were 8 weeks old. Cockerels were around 6.5 lbs live weight and pullets were 5.5 lbs. Average dressed weight for the lot was 4.7 lbs.

I am over the rain as well. I am enjoying the lower temps, but the mugginess, not so much. Chickens don’t seem amused either. Broody hen picked a good time to sit around all day!

Rain, Rain, Go Away!!!! Everything is soooo wet and mucky! The poor chickens hate it, the goats hate it, I think the ducks don't hate it, but ugh, it's so nasty!

On a good note, a guy called me and bought all my eggs....15 dozen! So, I didn't have to go to Farmers Market. Then he asked me to hatch him 14 chicks! Yay! Out comes the incubator....even thou I have 5, yes, 5 broody hens I could use, but I hate that because I hate taking the babies away from the moms. So sad!
My coops have standing water in them I was forced to add wooden pallets in the coop that I was going to use for other things in order for my open coops to have a dry place for the chickens to stand on and it stinks to high heaven. Includes the grow out pen as well. When I take care of the chickens the best I can in the muck and slush, mud in a lot of.places is near the top of my boots. I feel like my coops are.never going to dry up. I bought some stable lime for the coops but don't know that it will do any good just yet. How.do you dry up a swamp? Anybody!!!

My coops have standing water in them I was forced to add wooden pallets in the coop that I was going to use for other things in order for my open coops to have a dry place for the chickens to stand on and it stinks to high heaven. Includes the grow out pen as well. When I take care of the chickens the best I can in the muck and slush, mud in a lot of.places is near the top of my boots. I feel like my coops are.never going to dry up. I bought some stable lime for the coops but don't know that it will do any good just yet. How.do you dry up a swamp? Anybody!!!
Corn cob flour and cat litter are what's normally used to dry out baseball fields.They help to firm up the loose muck. But any standing water has to be drained off first. An option if you have some dirt available is to remove the top layer and replace with dry. Unfortunately if the muck is more than about an inch deep and soupy not much will help. Adding sand can help raise the level to reduce future flooding and helps to improve drainage, but the water still needs somewhere else to go.

For me, as long as it's not a gully-washer, I'll take all the rain we can get! I have the same problem with my run, but mostly because I was dumb enough to slope the roof towards the uphill side and I haven't had time to install a gutter back there yet. :idunno I'm hoping some of these big cracks in the ground will close up. I also don't want my little spring fed creek to dry up like it did a couple years ago.

My run is pretty sloppy too. Here in the mountains, there is no such thing as level ground, so water just runs right in, no matter that it's roofed. I do open up the little run to let the chickens out further afield for a few hours so it least they can get into grass.

@Tobasco Jack, that was a nice story about your redwood incubator on Facebook. Thanks.

OK @Flowerbh , here's a pic of some of my chickens!
View attachment 1409722
We processed 30 of the Cornish cross this weekend. They were 8 weeks old. Cockerels were around 6.5 lbs live weight and pullets were 5.5 lbs. Average dressed weight for the lot was 4.7 lbs.
OMG! I have yet to ever taste a fresh farm chicken! I heard they are wonderful! One day I may have to try it, but I always end up giving/selling them to my friend who processes them!

Back
Top Bottom