YO GEORGIANS! :)

Lucky for us the our land around the house, dog pen and coop slant away so there is no flooding, but with all this rain for so long its getting nasty all the same. Silver lining is the weather has once again flush my girls in for bed for a third night in a row instead of me having to. I know I need we all need the sun, just hoping this becomes a habit for them. When I went to check on them in he coop through the side window they startled me. I was looking on the low perch where they like to boost. Instead I when I glanced up there were two sets of beady eyes staring at me, they were on the high roost. Okay I admit to a little squeak, after all it's dark, pouring rain, cold and all I had was a flash light lol. Nice to know they are owning their space. I just hope they transition well when I move the 8 newbies in sometime about a month out.
Haha! You had me laughing out loud with this one!
lau.gif
Too cute! Ah - the things we do for our girls! SMH

Heya Georgians!

I am new to the area, and am getting my run set up for my Ladies.

I haven't had a lawn in years (was in the desert), and definitely not here where lawns have lots of nasties in them. I've been told I need to use an insecticide on the lawn now because of the ticks, chiggers, etc, but I'm afraid to use that stuff on my lawn because of the chickens.

Their run is unfortunately in a lower part of the yard, so when water collects, as it has been with all of this rain, it will end up there. So I'm worried about nasty chemicals ending up in their run, or about them eating bugs that have got the chemical on them.

My question is, what do you all do about lawns and insects? Do you just not worry about it, or have something else you use that won't harm chickens? They are pets, so I don't want them getting sick. We also eat their eggs, so we don't want to get sick either!

I'm in the process of adding soil to the run to try and prevent the pooling of water, but right now it's just a nasty mud pile. UGH. I hope the grass seed takes before my chickens get here...

I have lived here all my life, and have never sprayed my yard. I will use sevin dust on my animals but nothing on the yard. With the lake we do have a lot of ticks I just check myself when I come in and remove any I find. I always felt spraying thd yard kills the good and the bad insects and is easier for the bad ones to come back.

Heya Georgians!

I haven't had a lawn in years (was in the desert), and definitely not here where lawns have lots of nasties in them.  I've been told I need to use an insecticide on the lawn now because of the ticks, chiggers, etc, but I'm afraid to use that stuff on my lawn because of the chickens.  

Their run is unfortunately in a lower part of the yard, so when water collects, as it has been with all of this rain, it will end up there.  So I'm worried about nasty chemicals ending up in their run, or about them eating bugs that have got the chemical on them.

My question is, what do you all do about lawns and insects?  Do you just not worry about it, or have something else you use that won't harm chickens?  They are pets, so I don't want them getting sick.  We also eat their eggs, so we don't want to get sick either!

I'm in the process of adding soil to the run to try and prevent the pooling of water, but right now it's just a nasty mud pile.  UGH.  I hope the grass seed takes before my chickens get here...

I have lived here all my life, and have never sprayed my yard. I will use sevin dust on my animals but nothing on the yard. With the lake we do have a lot of ticks I just check myself when I come in and remove any I find. I always felt spraying thd yard kills the good and the bad insects and is easier for the bad ones to come back.
Quote:

Thanks! Our backyard neighbors have a large pond, and we have a small wooded area near the chicken coop so I'm guessing we'll have plenty of ticks here too
roll.png
. We used DE in the desert, and sevin only as needed on the Ladies (pretty rarely, actually), but that was it.

Anyone else have other ideas?

Thanks!!

Heya Georgians!

I haven't had a lawn in years (was in the desert), and definitely not here where lawns have lots of nasties in them. I've been told I need to use an insecticide on the lawn now because of the ticks, chiggers, etc, but I'm afraid to use that stuff on my lawn because of the chickens.

Their run is unfortunately in a lower part of the yard, so when water collects, as it has been with all of this rain, it will end up there. So I'm worried about nasty chemicals ending up in their run, or about them eating bugs that have got the chemical on them.

My question is, what do you all do about lawns and insects? Do you just not worry about it, or have something else you use that won't harm chickens? They are pets, so I don't want them getting sick. We also eat their eggs, so we don't want to get sick either!

I'm in the process of adding soil to the run to try and prevent the pooling of water, but right now it's just a nasty mud pile. UGH. I hope the grass seed takes before my chickens get here...
No, I don't worry about the lawn and insects. For one thing, your chickens will take care of the bugs. Don't use chemicals. It's not as bad as you think. Welcome to Ga!

Back
Top Bottom