YO GEORGIANS! :)

Can you fence off an area of the yard and use avian netting?  I have a 40 x 40 foot fenced pen with avian netting on top and that stuff is apparently quite strong.

A few days ago a heavy tree limb ended up on top of the net and rested on the ground, after my lawn man and his grown grandson helper got it OFF the net with a bit of struggle no damage was done. Tuff stuff!  Pretty cheap too, cost me $60 or so on Amazon. Keeps hawks OUT and my bantams IN.

If your chickens start roaming outside of your yard they will become prey for something or other, cars, dogs, something.
I agree with the netting if possible. I just bought avian netting from Cutler Supply online. Very affordable for my 25'x 25' pen. Less than $100, lasts 10-15 years.

Oh, if anyone is interested in SLW's let me know.  I am going to downsize my flock and focus more on fewer breeds. I am only going to mention it here and not the BST forum.  Those who don't find new homes will be eaten.
how old are your SLW's?

Can someone please post the map link where we are all located? I don't know how to find it on the mobile version of the site. Thanks

So I was just in the yard hanging out with the chickens and one of my Specked Sussex name Curly Toes squat in front of me. Well I find it hilarious when they do it, so I reached down and gave her a back scratch. She happily walk away after a second but left something behind....

A Double Yolk Soft Shell.

hahaha Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand this is normal for new layers. My girls have only been laying about a week and a half so I'm not too worried. They are on layer feed, free range and have a bowl of oyster shell so I know it's not a lack of something. :) I never thought I would see a soft shell, let alone, right before my eyes laid, DOUBLE YOLK soft shell.
I have been getting several double yolked and soft shell eggs. My girls are just now starting to lay and from what I have read these are natural symptoms. If double yolked eggs persist after they have been laying for while it can cause concern as the eggs are usually much larger and can cause the hen to become egg bound.

I was fishing at a stock pond with my twin granddaughters when they were about 4. The stock pond had a resident flock of Muscovy ducks, it also had several bush like cedars around it's edges. There was a female under one of the cedars with several fuzzy little babies, and when one of my girls wanted to get a closer look at the babies that mother duck came out from under the cedar like a bullet and knocked her down and bit her a few times leaving quarter size whelps on her little back. She only stopped attacking her when I ran over and threw her off of MY BABY. I'VE NOT CARED ANYTHING FOR DUCKS SINCE THAT DAY!! Now you have heard of a duck attack.
smile.png
We have ducks and geese on campus and almost every year around hatching time we have some student that gets to close and ends up getting attacked. The duck/goose usually gets "relocated".

Can someone please post the map link where we are all located? I don't know how to find it on the mobile version of the site. Thanks
Should be in my signature.

So I was having an issue getting my girls to lay in the box configuration I had. I then reconfigured everything and they still wouldn't lay in them. Then put up curtains and changed the lighting so the boxes were the darkest spot in the coop. Well they started laying in the box, but they refused to use 2 of the boxes and would only lay in 1. Well today somebody changed their mind and I got an egg in another box. I was getting kinda nervous because 7 hens laying in a single box is eventually gonna cause some traffic issues. This could all be a result of me not letting them free-range as my neighbors fence is getting put up and I didn't want a curios chicken to jump over to check it out.

On another note I finally spoke to the neighbors on the other side who have been complaining to others about my roosters. They made a comment about me killing off the remaining two roos when I mentioned I had already processed two. I told them I was planning on hatching some eggs and they let it go. I did get warned that if they should decide to jump the fence that his dog will probably kill them as he has trained it to retrieve birds. I told him that was somewhat understandable, but hopefully we don't have to worry about that. I might just throw my EE roo over the fence when he gets his spurs to see how brave his dog is. The EE will prolly just mount his dog, do his business, and fly back over. The guy has never taken his dog bird hunting so I'm not sure why he has trained it to do anything.

Back
Top Bottom