YO GEORGIANS! :)

Hey all. It's been crazy busy around here and I haven't gotten a chance to update.

As you might remember my dead beat broody hen stopped sitting at 10 days.  I tried to get an incubator built but had issues with the temp. By the time I got it fixed up and working all the babies had died.  We did an eggtopsy to see how far along they were and I think they lived between 11-15 days. I was a day too late to save a couple... if they would have even survived anyway.  Well I had put so much work into that bator that I just had to get some eggs in there.  Book was kind enough to give me 4 more Maran eggs and I bought 3 cream legbar eggs from a local. I was trying to 6 CL but her hens weren't cooperating. 

So they have been in the bator for 7 days and I am going to candle tonight to mark the air cells. I looked last night and I am pretty sure they all have veins.  The maran are harder to see into, so today I got a brighter LED flash light in hopes i can see them a little better.  Fingers crossed! :)

Try the flashlight from your cell phone. I know a few people who candle their eggs that way. Good luck with your hatching! I love hatching eggs!

So am I the only one who already has new spring chick fever?!?

I can't wait until my rooster is old enough to fertilize me some eggs! I have a trio of Swedish Flowers that I hope to get chicks from plus I am hoping my SFH roo and my frizzle NN hen will give me some colorful Frizzle NN babies. Also hope to get some Olive egger eggs from Rocky Rhodes grandson. He got three Welsummers chicks from me this summer and is putting them with a Legbar roo. Should be some nice colored eggs from the chicks. Maybe we could have an egg exchange one weekend. Everyone bring a few dozen fertile eggs and exchange them with everyone else. You would take home the same amount of eggs as you brought except different ones! That would be great fun. Then we could all talk about our hatches! If you are interested, I would organize it.

becky hurtin but ok. we sold a bunch got alot of silkies n now ducks . kahki campbells lol. n 3 rabbits. we added a coon dog as coyotes are around his name is ROSCOE P COALTRAIN LOL. how about you flowers. hey robo

becky hurtin but ok. we sold a bunch got alot of silkies n now ducks . kahki campbells lol. n 3 rabbits. we added a coon dog as coyotes are around his name is ROSCOE P COALTRAIN LOL. how about you flowers. hey robo

Sorry to hear about Becky. I don't have as many chickens as I use to. DH thought I had too many (45) so I sold a bunch. I still have 29 adults and have about 10 juveniles. 3 of the young ones are males and may go. I have one adult rooster. He is a Swedish Flower. If he remains nice, I will keep him. One of the younger roos is a beautiful Blue Brahma. He has the most gorgeous 'pants'.. I have many different breeds because, if you remember, I wanted all the different egg colors! I sell the eggs, so the chickens pay for themselves.

I love hatching eggs, so this spring I may offer to hatch eggs for people. I would only charge $1 for each live chick I hatch. What do you think? Do you think people would 'hire' me? My only fear is what would happen if I got bad eggs and the people get mad if they don't hatch! Anybody out there ever do that before?

Alright who here hatches Jersey Giants? I want a chick and a friend wants a breeding roo.
saw a jersey giant roo for sale at tc country feed in canton, ga few days ago. Not sure where you are located though

Last edited:
I saw several chicks for sale while at the tc country feed store in canton, ga the other day. I gave them one of my rir roosters could not find a home for. Kinda sad to leave him there :(
Anyway, I of course got the baby chick bug, really want to raise more hens. They had crosses between rir and buff orpingtons that they said were awesome birds, I think they called them new hampshire something? They also had black sex links and a few others. Is this a bad time of year to raise chicks? They would be indoors until fully feathered in. idk. Might be too much work.

Last edited:
Anything I should worry about with this cold weather front coming through as far as my birds are concerned? In Statesboro. Coop is pretty locked down with nothing but the door open at this point.

Back
Top Bottom