YO GEORGIANS! :)

Maddie's ticked!! Our last chick was taken today. Still no clue what but the fencing is bent and the bird netting is broken. We were busy taking trash to the dump so I hadn't checked on it earlier. Could've sworn I heard it while I was loading trashave and thought it was fine...now, i'm pretty sure it was sending the distress call just very faintly. I figured it was just hungry for dinner. No more babies without a fully wire enclosed shelter!! Now, I need to padlock the coop in case it's a coon.

Make sure to use hardware cloth instead of plain chicken wire. We also plant the hardware cloth 12" down and then out 12" (like an L) so that nothing can dig under either.

Make sure to use hardware cloth instead of plain chicken wire. We also plant the hardware cloth 12" down and then out 12" (like an L) so that nothing can dig under either.

Trust me, any more little ones will have a fully wired in floor throughout the run. It'LL make it easier to move onto fresh turf as well as keeping the critters out. Dave's pretty sure it was a coyote based on the fence. It would take any other local predator a lot to bend down a 12 gauge fence.

Ok, I'm trying an experiment. You know my chickens have not been laying. 50 chickens, only 0-3 eggs a day. The ones who were molting are pretty much feathered out now. The young ones laid one or two eggs and have stopped laying. You know how chickens 'follow suit' so to speak.....like if one goes broody, they all want to go broody.....well, I think they have all stopped laying because they all stopped laying....lol, does that make sense? You know, like some started molting and stopped laying, so the others did too?/? Well, I wanted to remind them that they are suppose to lay eggs, so I put plastic eggs in all the nest boxes. I am going to see if they will get the hint and get into the 'mood' to lay eggs again! Will let you know what happens.

Ok, I'm trying an experiment. You know my chickens have not been laying. 50 chickens, only 0-3 eggs a day. The ones who were molting are pretty much feathered out now. The young ones laid one or two eggs and have stopped laying. You know how chickens 'follow suit' so to speak.....like if one goes broody, they all want to go broody.....well, I think they have all stopped laying because they all stopped laying....lol, does that make sense? You know, like some started molting and stopped laying, so the others did too?/? Well, I wanted to remind them that they are suppose to lay eggs, so I put plastic eggs in all the nest boxes. I am going to see if they will get the hint and get into the 'mood' to lay eggs again! Will let you know what happens.

Are they eating laying pellets? I had a similar problem because I was feeding mine too much scraps and bread. They quit eating laying pellets and decided to wait for more scraps and bread, this made most quit laying or only lay now and then. One way I snapped them out of it was using the wet feed and they were fighting to eat it. They thought it was scraps or something. HA! Within a few days they were almost all laying again.

Are they eating laying pellets? I had a similar problem because I was feeding mine too much scraps and bread. They quit eating laying pellets and decided to wait for more scraps and bread, this made most quit laying or only lay now and then. One way I snapped them out of it was using the wet feed and they were fighting to eat it. They thought it was scraps or something. HA! Within a few days they were almost all laying again.

Hey, I guess you missed my entry about how I was putting my chickens on a diet because I had been feeding them too many of the renters left overs. I;m talking about trays full of mac and cheese, cole slaw, baked beans etc.... huge amounts because I hated throwing all that food out....(I do have 50ish chickens) Well, yes, they quite laying and just sat around down by the fence waiting for more food. I hardly ever saw them looking for bugs anymore! So, now they only get their fodder, laying feed, and sometimes left over salad scrapes. I think they are going thru junk food withdrawal right now! LOL Hopefully, they will get back into laying soon!

Hey, I guess you missed my entry about how I was putting my chickens on a diet because I had been feeding them too many of the renters left overs. I;m talking about trays full of mac and cheese, cole slaw, baked beans etc.... huge amounts because I hated throwing all that food out....(I do have 50ish chickens) Well, yes, they quite laying and just sat around down by the fence waiting for more food. I hardly ever saw them looking for bugs anymore! So, now they only get their fodder, laying feed, and sometimes left over salad scrapes. I think they are going thru junk food withdrawal right now! LOL Hopefully, they will get back into laying soon!

HAHA!! Do you make all of the food the renters are leaving? Sounds like some of my favorites!
gig.gif

I can understand why they are not laying or catching bugs. Like the saying; fat cats don't chase mice. Once they get through their withdrawals they should start back laying unless they are breeds that don't lay in winter.

Last edited:
Ok. I have a question. What in the world do you do with extra bantam roosters? I know my standard sized people will at least pay a few bucks for to eat. But I experimented with breeding some sex linked sizzles and from the pair I kept it seems to have worked. I have two hens broody piled up on a mountain of eggs so pretty soon I will have a load of them.

Ok. I have a question. What in the world do you do with extra bantam roosters? I know my standard sized people will at least pay a few bucks for to eat. But I experimented with breeding some sex linked sizzles and from the pair I kept it seems to have worked. I have two hens broody piled up on a mountain of eggs so pretty soon I will have a load of them.
You can eat the little guys, too.

Or you can take them to auction.

You can eat the little guys, too.

Or you can take them to auction.

When is the next auction? I have a few 4 week cockerels I need to get rid of. It would be fun to see the Auction as well.

Logistics wise - what time to you have to be out there to get things sold?

Back
Top Bottom