YO GEORGIANS! :)

GA is one of the handful states that Amazon has been charging sales tax. Now the rest of the country gets to participate in the fun. One good thing about the online competition from WalMart is that it caused Amazon to reconsider its $49 purchase minimum to qualify for free shipping, so they recently lowered the free-shipping threshold to $35.

Anyway, I ordered chicken nipples from Amazon a few weeks ago, and after the purchase, I discovered that the vendor is in China. I guess the shipment is on a slow boat from China because it's taking a long time to get here. I had no idea the vendor was in China until I received the China Post tracking number. Live and learn. :idunno

I have had the worst time getting anything from China it's supposedly about 4 packages floating around the mail for me since November last year I got my money back after so much trouble but I check to see that everything is shipped from the USA anymore . Amazon and ebay I always sort the " shipped from USA" on any items before I even look at the prices just to save a few dollars isn't the problem if you get your item hit wait months and not get a dang thing until you need it then and there and have to buy locally again and then go through the process of getting your money back!
I actually received one package of some light bulbs a year late!! I had already purchased bulbs and even sold the car then I get a package of light bulbs I had ordered a year and a half before from China. Now they were on a slow boat!!

Yep. We've
Yep we've been enjoying amazon charging sales tax for quite some time so it means nothing to me. Running around town in a suburban & four kids? Well that price is just too HIGH!!!

I love my prime shipping but gotta be careful...needed an incubator in a pinch (our TSC is awful) and I was just about to click purchase next to the prime indicator & the price was right but in tiny letters it said "if available ships in 5-7 weeks" ummmmm...no.

Um, they didn't charge me when I bought a new game camera just the other day nor any of my recent purchases, either. What is funny is that sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I rechecked and nope, no sales tax.

@brucifer same here when my husband ordered a Satellite receiver for our big dish, coming on that slow boat from China. I was making fun of the name they gave it and realized it was coming from China....Romantic Bear satellite receiver, haha!

ETA: I went back and looked at all my orders to January. No sales tax on any of them from any vendors.

See?

Shipping Address:
  • XXXXXXXXX
  • MINERAL BLUFF, GA 30559-2591
  • United States

FREE Shipping
Quote:

Item(s) Subtotal: $76.00
Shipping & Handling: $6.12
Free Shipping: -$6.12
-----
Total before tax: $76.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Gift Card Amount: -$1.82
-----
Total for This Shipment: $74.18
Total paid by Gift Card:
-$1.82
-----

Last edited:
Um, they didn't charge me when I bought a new game camera just the other day nor any of my recent purchases, either. What is funny is that sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I rechecked and nope, no sales tax.

@brucifer same here when my husband ordered a Satellite receiver for our big dish, coming on that slow boat from China. I was making fun of the name they gave it and realized it was coming from China....Romantic Bear satellite receiver, haha!

ETA: I went back and looked at all my orders to January. No sales tax on any of them from any vendors.

See?

Shipping Address:
  • XXXXXXXXX
  • MINERAL BLUFF, GA 30559-2591
  • United States

FREE Shipping

Item(s) Subtotal: $76.00
Shipping & Handling: $6.12
Free Shipping: -$6.12
-----
Total before tax: $76.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Gift Card Amount: -$1.82
-----
Total for This Shipment: $74.18
Total paid by Gift Card:
-$1.82
-----

Amazon.com does charge sales tax in Georgia. The difference is that the purchase you referenced was probably a 3rd party selling on amazon.com. I believe Amazon.com reached a deal w/ Georgia awhile back to begin to collect sales tax. The smaller vendors that sell on amazon.com and ebay were not included in that agreement so they do not collect tax. This may be changing, but currently most 3rd parties on Amazon.com will not collect tax.

Amazon.com does charge sales tax in Georgia. The difference is that the purchase you referenced was probably a 3rd party selling on amazon.com. I believe Amazon.com reached a deal w/ Georgia awhile back to begin to collect sales tax. The smaller vendors that sell on amazon.com and ebay were not included in that agreement so they do not collect tax. This may be changing, but currently most 3rd parties on Amazon.com will not collect tax.
Ah, yep, I went back through two pages of orders before I found one little item that came directly from Amazon. They did charge tax on that one item in the entire order, so you are correct. I did not realize how many of my orders were through 3rd party vendors until now. That is the difference.

Ah, yep, I went back through two pages of orders before I found one little item that came directly from Amazon. They did charge tax on that one item in the entire order, so you are correct. I did not realize how many of my orders were through 3rd party vendors until now. That is the difference.
What gets me they don't tell you if you have to pay sales tax or not you don't know until you check out and already paid for it

Hey Georgians, I need some help identifying a few chickens. I haven't found my way around this site to easily.

I'm fairly new to this site as well and the search function has been my best friend! Lol. You can type anything you want and it'll show you all the threads about it. That being said I am going to try and post the link to one of my favorite threads. You can ask about the sex or breed, and they are pretty darn quick about answering. If it doesn't post the link..you could just type the name of the thread in the search area. Here goes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-got-a-pullet-or-cockerel-click-here-thread-2

I'm fairly new to this site as well and the search function has been my best friend! Lol. You can type anything you want and it'll show you all the threads about it. That being said I am going to try and post the link to one of my favorite threads. You can ask about the sex or breed, and they are pretty darn quick about answering. If it doesn't post the link..you could just type the name of the thread in the search area. Here goes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-got-a-pullet-or-cockerel-click-here-thread-2
. thank you, I will try. It came through good.

Back
Top Bottom