YO GEORGIANS! :)

Saw one of the bigget black snakes I've ever seen. It was huge had to be at least 5 feet with a circumference of 4 inches it jumped from an old burned out house to a tree behind my property. Didn't have any way to kill it but it must have been eating well. Lots of squirrel mice birds and rats around. In the woods.

Saw one of the bigget black snakes I've ever seen. It was huge had to be at least 5 feet with a circumference of 4 inches it jumped from an old burned out house to a tree behind my property. Didn't have any way to kill it but it must have been eating well. Lots of squirrel mice birds and rats around. In the woods.
Hey Sue. Sounds like a rat snake. A remember the huge one last year my son caught in our house, in the brooder room. I think I posted a photo of it. It ate a silkie chick and bit a slew of buff orps chicks in the brooder, and most of them became sick and later died. Even with such a bad experience, after we caught the rat snake, we released it at the edge of our property. Rat snakes do so much more good than harm (usually!) that it never even crossed my mind to kill it. Just as their name states, they are excellent ratters, and for the most part, they are harmless (except to chicks and eggs!). Hope y'all are doing well!

Hey Brucifer were doing ok. Hope your family is good as well. Fortunately all my chicks are and silkies are enclosed at night anyway. There is enough food out there I don't think the snake would try for them unless they were easy to get to. Hope not anyway. Have you gotten your quail yet. What about a small laying flock? Really hope to see y'all again sometime.

Wow, went to a new farmers market today where I signed up to sell eggs. Asked another vendor what she charges for her eggs. She said they all charged $5/dozen. Soooo, I sold mine for $5 too! Sold all 11 dozen in 2 hours and got to go home early! And, they told me it was a slow day because the weather looked threatening!

An inattentive TSC worker must have thrown some White Rocks into the Cornish tub.

Overall, as a store, I like Tractor Supply and although I haven't, I would buy chickens there. But yeah..... They don't give their birds the best of care and very few of the folks know anything about them. I don't mean TSC as a company, I just mean, most of the employees. A few weeks back I thought one of the employee's head was going to explode when I had to explain to her what a "killing cone" was that I was looking for. Apparently she thought she worked in a Petco instead of a farm store. SMH

Did you get your killing cone GoodLife? I am just going to use an old milk jug for the purpose. I had read somewhere that someone suggested cutting a corner from a feed bag, but I think that unless you staple up the corner some, the bird wouldn't be "swaddled" much to help calm them like a firm cone would.

Hey Brucifer and Sue! I miss all the old group who used to talk every day! Bruce, what are you doing now a days. Do you have chickens again?
Time to start getting a get together, together again. I'm in over my head in chickens these days need to start selling them again I probably have 30 chicks already. Including my mixed and silkies. Guess I need to put an add in the paper since TSC is done selling for this year.. see who missed out. Plus my own beautiful crosses. Had one chick hatch in my layer flock today white egglayer and either a flower hen cross or.an Orpington cross. I have two Easter eggers coming up one male.and.one.female. I have a veriety of chickens on one side and Silkies.on the other,

Does anyone know what kind of chicken this is . I think it's a pullet but don't know the breed.She/he is not a Cochin, Easter egger or anything else I can think of. I've had her for about 4 weeks. She was in the bantum bin at TSC I was checking out a couple of frizzle cochens. Any good guesses? Thanks.
IMG_20180506_100013453_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom