yolk sticking to shell

Sorry I haven't had that problem. That certainly is an odd thing. Are your eggs gathered often? Do you store them on their side?

Thank you for taking the time to try help. I had search everywhere for an answer but the closest I got was the air was dry, who knows. I have 28 hens and have never had this problem before

I realize this is an older post but we just started having the same problem. There doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" with the egg. . .no odor, beautiful color. . .but we have been tossing them just to be on the safe side. I do think it is probably from the eggs setting in the carton too long.

Is there any way to bring this to the attention of an expert or moderator? I have had the same problem. DEFINITELY NOT freshness issue:
I collect eggs 2x per day.
They are cleaned every night (not submerged, just using a rough cloth to remove any bedding or matter stuck to the egg)
Then clean eggs are put into carton, pointed end down
And into the fridge (which has a thermometer so I know the temp is always below 45 degrees and above 40 degrees)
I have a jar of water in the door of the fridge at all times to keep the fridge moist.

I am very frustrated as I DONT have this problem with the eggs I have for my own use which aren't taken as good of care of. If an egg is too small to sell, I just put it in my egg skelter on the counter and use it whenever. I've never had one of them do that, only the ones straight from the fridge that were intended to sell. Scares me if a customer gets one, they might be put-off.

I'm having the same problem. We found a random best that some of our chickens were laying in in the wooded area behind our house. I washed them off and put them all in a bowl to flat test them for freshness and they all sank with no problems so I put them in the fridge. A few days later I went to cook a bunch of eggs and tried using these ones and half of them had their yolks stuck to their shells and were browned where they were stuck to the shell. None of the other eggs collected from the same chickens since then have some this just that batch in the woods...

This thread is several years old, but the solution has still not been found. I'm having this same issue, but it seems the eggs are only from one chicken. The eggs are very fresh, sometimes laid that day. Nothing otherwise different about the egg. The yolk sticks to the shell. Not all her eggs are like this, but they are only her eggs.
We know they are this one bird's in particular bc she refuses to share her nest and lays eggs in odd places away from the communal nest boxes.

I found this thread because I have encountered the same thing with some eggs we bought from the supermarket, it was super weird. I was trying to make fried eggs and the white came out when I cracked it but the yolk stayed stuck to the shell. We don’t normally keep eggs in the fridge, but it’s been hotter here recently (Berlin, Germany – 30ºC+).

I searched here on BYC and didn't find anything about this.

I had a hen (or three) laying under my shed; there were 13 eggs by the time I found them. I washed them and put them in the fridge and am checking each one before I use it (by cracking it into a separate bowl). Anyway, two of them so far have had the yolk sticking to the inside of the shells!!!
ep.gif

What is that?

Why does it happen?

Is there any way that I can prevent it?
(I'm guessing the answer to this is not to leave them sit under the shed for two weeks. lol)

Are they safe to eat?
Good morning,
My store bought egg's yokes have started sticking to the shell, lately. The price of eggs shot sky high some months ago but the price a few weeks ago dropped to a buck a dozen. Yes, I bought a lot of eggs. About a third of them have this condition. I'd sure like to know if they're safe. I'm guessing they are because I've been eating them and not getting sick.

Back
Top Bottom