YOU EAT REAL CHICKENS? ARE YOU INSANE??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying you should only eat meat you kill, I'm just saying if you can't kill one animal or stand by while your meat is being butchered by someone else you might want to consider being a vegetarian.

I eat store meat all the time, but I have stood by while cows pigs and many other things were butchered.

They don't seem to realize that chicken comes from chickens, and they don't seem to mind that the stuff they eat was messily mechanically gutted and soaked in a vat of fecal soup with 500 other mechanically gutted carcasses and absorbed 20% of its body weight from that fecal soup.
This statement is just as crazy as what the other seriously misinformed people said.
Agree with ChickenJerk above. There are lots of reasons to be unhappy with the state of large slaughterhouses, but what is described in the quote above is seriously misinformed. Sounds like someone's been reading PETA propaganda, honestly.

I have my own thought about that farmer, he feed his turkey's a lot off crap, that is why he does not eat his own meat, i also won't eat my animals if they grow's on bad food(rotten food, rotten meat)
he prob know that your turkeys are healthy, THEY TASTE SO NICE CAUSE THEY EAT SO NICE

He feeds them what the company that he raises them for delivers. I don't know what you consider "crap" but the large turkey producing companies I know about hardly use any thing of that description in their formulations. Turkeys are very sensitive to food quality so why would any one feed a building with thousands of turkeys that were worth $3.75 day old rotten anything when they want them to get to 50 lbs for market. That 50 lb turkey ate 150 lbs of feed to get to that size. Now just why is anybody trying to make a living or any company trying to make a profit doing something like that?

Just maybe the turkey raiser dosen't want to or can't process their own T'giving bird? Maybe they are not the right size. Maybe he doesn't feel that those birds are his (which they are not) to consume. There could be a lot of reasons - not just what the animal rights industry or the food scare industry has lead many people to believe and thus promote their agenda. That agendea includes ending YOUR utilization of YOUR birds in any way.

Think about who you are helping before unfounded suppositions or non facts are thrown into the issue..

He feeds them what the company that he raises them for delivers. I don't know what you consider "crap" but the large turkey producing companies I know about hardly use any thing of that description in their formulations. Turkeys are very sensitive to food quality so why would any one feed a building with thousands of turkeys that were worth $3.75 day old rotten anything when they want them to get to 50 lbs for market. That 50 lb turkey ate 150 lbs of feed to get to that size. Now just why is anybody trying to make a living or any company trying to make a profit doing something like that?

Just maybe the turkey raiser dosen't want to or can't process their own T'giving bird? Maybe they are not the right size. Maybe he doesn't feel that those birds are his (which they are not) to consume. There could be a lot of reasons - not just what the animal rights industry or the food scare industry has lead many people to believe and thus promote their agenda. That agendea includes ending YOUR utilization of YOUR birds in any way.

Think about who you are helping before unfounded suppositions or non facts are thrown into the issue..
Sorry was not to verbal abuse anybody, I called it crap, cause the chicks we raised taste much much better then those of the markets, their stuff always tastes fishy, or when you put it in the oven it is a nice peace of meat,for two, when you get it out is not even enough for one. I know what happens at those pens, or shall we call it houses, they are not allowed to use their own food, they must use what is supplied for them, have a lot of friends in different companys

Nobody in the commercial meat industry raises turkeys to 50 pounds. They might rarely take them to 20, but most are between 10 and 15.

And they feed them whatever will make them grow, including antibiotics. Thanks but no thanks. I'll take my pasture raised birds fed on local trains any day.

I don't know about anyone else, but I could never eat my own chickens. They're strictly for eggs! I just get too attached to the little gals to bring myself to butcher them once they're past their laying prime.
idunno.gif

Nobody in the commercial meat industry raises turkeys to 50 pounds. They might rarely take them to 20, but most are between 10 and 15.

And they feed them whatever will make them grow, including antibiotics. Thanks but no thanks. I'll take my pasture raised birds fed on local trains any day.
Well now. Today within one mile of my bedroom they will be killing about 28,000 turkeys just like they do six days a week. According to the report the week before this the average live weight per bird killed was 47.95 lbs (that was at an average of 146 days of age). All toms. They raise nothing but toms around here. All go to further processing and the bigger the better because after all 80% of the turkey eaten in the US is between two slices of bread.

And the greatest effort is made to grow turkeys at the least cost AND THE PLAN IS TO NEVER USE ANY MEDICATION if at all possible. After all the medication is expensive, and birds needing it never grow as profitably.

BTW I too think that pasture raised turkey is great eating. Glad you picked up on that truth.

Okay, I don't really want to argue about it, so I'm just going to state a few thoughts and just leave this be.

1. Turkeys and chickens drop off in feed-to-meat efficiency once they reach a certain size. It is less efficient to grow a bird to 50 pounds than two birds to 20 or 30. So, it is quite possible there are growers out there producing these giant birds on a regular basis, but I wouldn't consider it the most cost effective way to do it. So I doubt it

2. Commercially grown birds are routinely fed antibiotics to promote growth. That is an all-round industry-wide truism. There may be some people who don't raise them that way in their CAFOs, but they are the exception rather than the rule. If I eat chicken or turkey from a store, the chances are extremely high I am getting birds that were grown this way. No way, not for me.

3. Feed needs to have animal products in it for the birds to receive all of amino acids they need to put on the most muscle mass, unless producers are using seaweed or other vegetarian options that are expensive. Many of us add fish meal, which is also relatively expensive. Beef and poultry are cheaper options, and that is what the big houses are feeding them. No thanks you for that, either. Not in my food.

4. Speaking of big houses, that is what these millions of birds are raised in... houses. Thousands of birds at a time in a single building without access to the outside or in most cases even natural light of the sun. I refuse to contribute to that system, and that is why I grow for myself and for my community.

There, I'm done. Have fun. :)

To the OP:

No, it's not just you. I know the feeling. And it's frustrating.

So personally, I just try to minimize associating with such idiots. I'm glad that I am able to grow and eat real food, and that my family and loved ones appreciate real food. That's enough for me, really. Those who don't, it's their loss anyway, so we get the last laugh. The writing's always been on the wall, however some people are just too dumb to figure out what a wall is, and I just can't bother making that my problem. :)

I'm always eager and excited to talk to people who have an interest in raising animals and eating real food. I try to save my breath for those people who are able to respect and appreciate a holistic way of life. I try to avoid discussing it with those who don't.

Good luck, and don't let anybody prevent you from enjoying your real chicken! :)

Last edited:
Okay, I don't really want to argue about it, so I'm just going to state a few thoughts and just leave this be.

1. Turkeys and chickens drop off in feed-to-meat efficiency once they reach a certain size. TRUE. THEY START BEING LESS EFFICIENT AT CONVERTING FEED TO BODY WEIGHT ON DAY TWO OF LIFE AND IT IS ALL DOWN HILL FROM THERE. It is less efficient to grow a bird to 50 pounds than two birds to 20 or 30. ON A FEED TO GAIN RATIO THAT IS TRUE BUT THERE ARE OTHER ECONOMIC FACTORS. So, it is quite possible there are growers out there producing these giant birds on a regular basis, NOT ONLY IS IT POSSIBLE BUT A FACT but I wouldn't consider it the most cost effective way to do it. WELL SURELY THEY DO SINCE THEY SEEM TO HAVE BEEN DOING IT PROFITABLY FOR SOME TIME. THEY HAVE SOME PRETTY GOOD NUMBER CRUNCHERS AND EVEN THOUGH FEED COST IS ABOUT 70% OF THE INPUTS THEY KNOW ALL ABOUT THE OTHER COSTS THAT CONTRIBUTE TO THE EQUATION. THEY ARE RAISED TO THE POINT OF DIMINISHING RETURN. So I doubt it

2. Commercially grown birds are routinely fed antibiotics to promote growth. That is an all-round industry-wide truism. A FOOD SCARE INDUSTRY WIDE TRUISM. THE NET EFFECT OF USING GROWTH PROMOTING ANTIBIOTICS IN POULTRY PRODUCTION IS A LOSS OF VALUE. NOT SOMETHING THAT ANY FARMER FROM OLD MacDONALD TO JOHN TYSON HAVE ANY INTEREST IN AT ALL There may be some people who don't raise them that way in their CAFOs, but they are the exception rather than the rule. If I eat chicken or turkey from a store, the chances are extremely high I am getting birds that were grown this way. No way, not for me.

3. Feed needs to have animal products in it for the birds to receive all of amino acids they need to put on the most muscle mass, unless producers are using seaweed or other vegetarian options that are expensive. Many of us add fish meal, which is also relatively expensive. Beef and poultry are cheaper options, and that is what the big houses are feeding them. No thanks you for that, either. Not in my food. THESE STATEMENTS SEEM TO BE CONFUSED.

4. Speaking of big houses, that is what these millions of birds are raised in... houses. SOME PEOPLE CALL THEM BARNS, SHEDS, COOPS, HABITATIONS, FACILITIES MAYBE EVEN BIG BUILDINGS., Thousands of birds at a time in a single building without access to the outside AND PREDATORS AND TEMPERATURE EXTREMES AND INTERNAL PARASITES AND EXPOSURE TO DISEASE CARRYING BIRDS AND ANIMALS AND THEFT AND AND AND or in most cases even natural light of the sun. NOT SO WITH TURKEYS MOST ARE GROWN IN OPEN SIDED BUILDINGS OR CLEAR CURTAINED TUNNEL VENTILATED ENVIRONMENTS.I refuse to contribute to that system, and that is why I grow for myself and for my community. OKAY.

There, I'm done. Have fun. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom