You know you are "Country" when...

When your toddler discovers on his own the joy of sticking straw and long pine needles between his front teeth, takes them out just long enough to say something, then puts them right back in and keeps on savoring. Not to mention where the straw came from...
D.gif

When relatives from "the city" come for a visit and discover your kids behind the barn, jumping up and down on a dead, bloated cow as though it were a trampoline. (This one's from my wonderful father-in-law who grew up on a farm. That's right, he was one of the jumpers!)
lau.gif

When your old farm house is so full of cracks and crevices that certain insect species overwinter between your walls, find their way into your house, into your bed, and "snuggle" up to you. (Yep...it was a conifer seed bug.)
sickbyc.gif

When your husband one morning shoots two groundhogs from your upstairs bedroom window, you ask him to throw the dead carcasses by the road in front of your house in hopes of attracting bald eagles so your family can admire them up close, he complies, and it WORKS!!! (The chickens, of course, are secured!)

When you NEVER, EVER go into a city unless you absolutely have to, and when you do go, everything within you is screaming the entire time to GET OUT!!!

When you love country living so much that you honestly cannot understand a single reason why anyone would ever want to live in the city...ANY city.
Quote:

Ok so I had to share the fun of going to the fair.... Aside from freak hailstorms, heat exhaustion, and overdoing the grebbles.... The conversations I heard were stunning.. Of course the best centering around the chicken barn...

There was a "cherry egger" I was eyeballing... Sure enough onecday, I was there shortly after she laid a big pink egg.. Loitering long enough to hear a child (being consoled of course, witnessing an eggs um...departure from the hen) claiming they will never eat eggs again and how gross, only to have mom reply, "we don't eat THOSE eggs, ours come from an egg factory..."

Turn around, and another one explaining that's how the easter bunny makes colored eggs ....

Yet another young couple discussing the name "cherry egger" and maybe the chicken has a special diet of cherries and how the eggs must taste sweet or something....

Oh boy I was just there eyeballing a pretty hen lol :D

Ok so I had to share the fun of going to the fair.... Aside from freak hailstorms, heat exhaustion, and overdoing the grebbles.... The conversations I heard were stunning.. Of course the best centering around the chicken barn...

There was a "cherry egger" I was eyeballing... Sure enough onecday, I was there shortly after she laid a big pink egg.. Loitering long enough to hear a child (being consoled of course, witnessing an eggs um...departure from the hen) claiming they will never eat eggs again and how gross, only to have mom reply, "we don't eat THOSE eggs, ours come from an egg factory..."

Turn around, and another one explaining that's how the easter bunny makes colored eggs ....

Yet another young couple discussing the name "cherry egger" and maybe the chicken has a special diet of cherries and how the eggs must taste sweet or something....

Oh boy I was just there eyeballing a pretty hen lol
big_smile.png
That is just hysterical-the couple pondering the origin of the Cherry Egger's name is absolutely classic. Poor people, they're so clueless.
tongue.png
Shortgrass, you are so awesome and definitely my favorite BYC member! I so look forward to your stories and posts because they never fail to be funny.
lau.gif

-Alexandra33

That is just hysterical-the couple pondering the origin of the Cherry Egger's name is absolutely classic. Poor people, they're so clueless.
tongue.png
Shortgrass, you are so awesome and definitely my favorite BYC member! I so look forward to your stories and posts because they never fail to be funny.
lau.gif

-Alexandra33
I agree 100%!

I agree 100%!

Lol aww shucks :D

I just call it how I see it... They probably have a rap site where they make fun of the Hicks and talk about P. Diddly Puffy Dad or whatever too ;)

I can scream "I got friends in low places" louder and better than they can rap " homey smokey dopey hopey I don't go brokey" so there :p

But to be fair to the odd couple lol, the first time I saw an "easter egger" advertised at the local feed store, I thought it was some sort of April fools' joke lol ;)

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, shortgrass, that's SOOOO funny! In spite if its countless issues, I thank God every day for our "fixer-upper" farm. It's our peaceful country retreat, worlds away from all things "city." P. Diddly Puff Dad and all that rap stuff...no thanks!

Last edited:
You know you're country when....
The smell of mice that died in my farmhouse's floorboards is nothing new, and making the discovery that I have dried-up mouse skeletons lying in the attic in my closet is completely ordinary.
Oh, and I can't forget that there always are dead raccoons in the field to look at while I mow past. Sometimes the carcasses even attract vultures, hawks, and eagles to observe! Fun stuff for a bird-lover like myself.
tongue.png

-Alexandra33

When you can use a shotgun for nuisance birds in the sheds.

When you can walk outside naked, and no one calls the cops.

When you do your grocery shopping every two weeks.

When you understand the natural cycle of things, and allow nature be nature.

When you use the baby sling to snuggle your chicks and ducklings, then throw the sling in the washing machine just before the next baby arrives.
idunno.gif

When your husband stuffs a preemie diaper with tissues, then duct tapes it around the corner of the computer desk so your toddler won't bang his head on it.
he.gif

When your toddler's favorite "playhouse" is...gulp...the chicken coop!!!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom