You know you are "Country" when...

When you drive past a yard with a pile of manure.  Instead of wrinkling your nose, and saying...  "Peeyu!"  You start trying to figure out how many sq. yds. of manure are in that pile, and how best to get it moved to your yard.

When you eagerly check the mailbox every day in the winter for new seed catalogs, or perhaps even your first order of seeds.

When you empty the ashes out of the stove, and spend several minutes debating with yourself about the very best place in the yard to dump them, "where they'll do the most good".  

When you'd rather rush home after work to check on the flock and gather eggs, instead of running a few errands while you're in town.  

When you can't figure out why a lot of your friends and family, just don't get excited about the same things that you do...  like the perfect snow flake... Oh... wait a minute, they're all perfect!  Like the smell of the evergreen trees that tickles your nose when you're getting close to home.  Like the first seedlings to break the soil in the garden, like the first green anything that you harvest from your spring garden.  Like the first little green pullet egg from your spring hatched birds.  Like the pleasure of watching your flock foraging across the lawn.

Lol, ALL of it! ;)

You've seen my poo pile on another thread ha-ha :D

Grandpa used to say that lovely smell wafting south from the feedyards "smells like money " ;)

My seed catalog stack is almost 2' tall already, in just January...

Most days I dint even GO to town, sending DH instead while I stay home and watch animals and flowers grow :D

And NOBODY gets it... Oh but they regret asking "How are the hens doing?", when I proceed to gush about my favorite hens and tell them all about egg colors and breeds and how theyre NOT 'just dumb chickens' :p

Lol, ALL of it!
wink.png

You've seen my poo pile on another thread ha-ha
big_smile.png

Grandpa used to say that lovely smell wafting south from the feedyards "smells like money "
wink.png

My seed catalog stack is almost 2' tall already, in just January...

Most days I dint even GO to town, sending DH instead while I stay home and watch animals and flowers grow
big_smile.png

And NOBODY gets it... Oh but they regret asking "How are the hens doing?", when I proceed to gush about my favorite hens and tell them all about egg colors and breeds and how theyre NOT 'just dumb chickens'
tongue.png
Do you deliver? And how many cu. yd's would that be???

Do you deliver?  And how many cu. yd's would that be???

Lol oh no, this is hick style; its not cu. yds, its TONS! Making me do math because I don't know how to measure compost lol... :p 50 tons per acre on a 120 acre field...6000 tons ;)

Be glad you don't have to sit in the cabless tractor with the manure spreader behind you lol :p

And no, we don't deliver, Lol but our neighbor does; he's made quite the racket out of collecting poo from feedlots and composting it for amendment for soil! Lol its right up your alley ;)

http://www.humalfa.com

When you've gone outside with a bottle of shampoo and conditioner while it was raining and washed your hair.

When you struggle to find a pair of your shoes that doesn't have chicken poop or mud on them.

When you literally live in rainboots during the spring, summer, and fall.

When you know the difference between hay and straw, and you know the difference between the types of hay and straw.

When it's common to see you riding in the box of your dad's truck down a dirt rode, or in a trailer.

When you get to play dodge the 35-50 pound square bales that are shooting off of the back of the bale thrower, WHILE trying to stack said bales in the back of the hay wagon. It takes skill. :lol:

Last edited:
When you can take a bath or shower on your back deck (while enjoying the beauty of the night time sky) in November while in the process of a bathroom remodel. (gets a bit challenging when your feet slip on the ice on the way back in!)

When you get visited by a flock of turkeys every day through spring, summer and fall. When you welcome their visits b/c of the Marek's protection it affords your flock of chickens.

When you know the rhythms of the seasons: Black flies always show up within 24 hours of Trillium bloom.

When your grand kids love to visit... to see the chickens!

When strangers walk up to you and hand you a bag full of empty egg cartons.

When you go out to the shed to take a pee in the middle of winter in January, because your husband decided to poke the ceiling in the bathroom which collapsed, which started a full remodel in your only bathroom and at some point you have to pull up the toilet and wait while the grout on the new floor to set for at least half a day in the middle of January.

Back
Top Bottom