Young Brahma hasn't laid in 4 or 5 days. Not broody - any ideas?

lizgarf

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2012
My favorite hen, my brahma Bettina, hasn't laid in several days now. She's only a year old, and has been laying for only about 5 months. She's normally a very reliable layer of jumbo, pretty, speckled eggs. She's acting completely normal, other than the lack of eggs, and appears healthy. I don't see any signs of egg-eating (would there be?) and she only ranges for about an hour a day - I doubt she's hiding them anywhere. I've seen her hanging out in the nest, like she's trying to lay, and she doesn't seem broody. I have had some construction done near the coop, so she could have gotten stressed from the noise, but the other hens are laying fine. I've tried to feel for an impacted egg and couldn't feel any bumps. Any ideas? I'm about to go away on vacation, and I don't want to be too worried about my big cuddly girl.

Thanks. I tried to research it before posting and none of the typical causes seemed to fit, so I thought I'd post and see if others had ideas from personal experience. Other than the construction work, everything is normal around here, and the other hens are laying just fine (in fact, the broodies just started again).

She laid today. My money is on the construction (and maybe an egg is hiding in the yard somewhere).

Back
Top Bottom