Young Broody Hen

I continue to have hens laying in Seaweed's nest...that's her name...Seaweed...thank you five year old girl.

Anyway, it's annoying. I want to isolate her but nothing I do seems to help and now everyone wants to lay in the cushy dark and warm nest box. Geezus! What's worse, if I miss an egg for even a day or two, breakfast becomes a "does it have beating heart cells or not?" Game that I don't care to play!!! So gross.

So I guess it's vigilant checking from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also...as hens keep laying, the eggs she should be sitting on get pushed out! This is frustrating.

Also...as hens keep laying, the eggs she should be sitting on get pushed out! This is frustrating.

It can be frustrating. If she can't be isolated then all you can do is check. Most of my broody hens have all the other chickens so scared they won't go anywhere near the broody nest, but not this one. I just check every couple of days and toss out the new eggs.

#HatchWatch Day 8: Candling was performed on all six eggs today. Three were rather dark and we believe we could make out veins. The other three were quite translucent and believe they're not fertile or they aren't developing, perhaps due to the hen being a small hen! If the eggs are developing should I expect to see a fairly dark egg on day 8? It's been ages since I've done this and we didn't have that great of a light. Three eggs were very bright so I believe they're not going to turn out a chick. Candling to be done next week!

I think I need a stronger light. Because it should be showing day 8 results but it's darker like day 10.

Any recommendations on the strength of light I should be using?

Had a situation today. Seaweed the chicken got off her nest to take care of biz and she went and sat on a different nest box. I don't know how long she wasn't on her own nest but the eggs weren't cold to touch. Maybe lukewarm. Anyway, are these eggs now a lost cause? I put her back on her own nest and she stayed but is thee any chance for the peeps?

ryan820

NOOOOO they are not lost, 3 weeks ago, mine did the same thing, did not find it until the eggs were darn cool, put her back on, did not make the mistake again, and had 100% hatch. It was about day 10 for me. If the eggs were still warm, I would not worry about it at all.

Mrs K

She did it again today. Sigh...I guess I need to check her multiple times a day.

Well holy cow! Seaweed pulled it off and on the coldest night night of the season! It was 8F last night and I suspect that is when they hatched. Two so far and a third on the way! She did such a good job but I have to admit, I'm not sure if they need anything else from me besides a nice coop. Should I break out the heat lamp?

29f71803ee784e0cc07383360f9e5dbd.jpg

5d9a07d92af0b12040def84afc6f186a.jpg

4fe61d2c1345195657de21486c5b10a8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom