Young Tom Turkey vanished!

Bird1805

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 15, 2012
Hello everyone, this is my first thread to post on Backyard Chickens! I am sad to announce, our young Tom Turkey literally disappeared friday night. I seen him around 7 PM and the next morning at 6 AM he was no where to be found. The little hen we have was picking around the yard as usual. I found it odd that I found no feathers or anything. Our hen seemed fine and not upset about him missing. I think him being gone has upset me more then her haha! Of the two, he was my favorite, very loving and would come running as soon as I walked out of the house (Are all Toms like this? We're new turkey owners). It upsets me to know he possible became another animals meal...Has this happened to anyone else out there? Did you ever find your turkey? Thanks!

I'm so sorry to hear about your turkey. I'm new to turkeys as well. I have 13 poults that are almost 6 weeks old and am afraid to let them out of the coop yet because I don't want them to disappear. All of my chickens free range though. How old was your tom? I'd think that a full grown tom would be less likely to be prey to many things. I guess that would depend on where you live and how big the predators in your area are. Sadly, if turkeys are anything like chickens, if they disappear they have become food for something. I've had chickens disappear before without a trace and never had any of them turn back up. I sure hope that turkeys are different and wish you luck with finding yours!

Im sorry that happened sometimes you can get really attached. I let mine free roam all the time but the stay extremely close, just a bit to close so I dont worry to much. DO you think he could have joined a wild turkey pack passing by or something?

As big as turkeys are mine have a habit of finding the most insane hiding spots even in a 15 x 20 balcony.
I cant tell you how many days I went out thinking they thought it was wing testing time and jumped down the 20 stories just for kicks.
Luckily I found them each time and in a very unique spots.

A couple times they were on the window ledge that continues out from the balcony wall. I think they were peeking in at the movie we watched the night before. Once they snuck in the house as the dogs went out, and many other fun times.

Now they are pretty well behaved and come a running for "food man" when I open the door alone.
So maybe it will come back after a little journey, maybe it's decided to pack up its belongings and try the open range.
I'm just hoping that you find it and it wasnt an attack.

From my time on friends farms; usually if there were no signs of struggle then there wasnt one.
Good luck!

Well everyone, I have sad news....I found Wilbur's feathers out in the big pasture, I was so hopeful that he maybe ran next door to hang out with the chickens! I have learned my lesson! Until the Turkey hut it built the one turkey we have left (Wilma) will be locked up in her dog cage at night! We are looking to get another young Tom. hopefully nothing like this happens again!

KristinMarie- To answer your question, our turkeys are 3-4 months old, I used to keep them in our barn in a dog crate during the day and night until I came home from work and as soon as I let them out they would follow me everywhere, I would stay outside with them for an hour or so and let them peck around, they never left my side. Once they got a little older and their "big turkey" feathers came in I left them out during the day and put them up at night. They woud still come running when I would walk outside. Now that Wilbur is gone, Wilma doesn't care much about me unless she's hungry. She prefers to hang out with the horses.

thanks for everyones input!

so sorry to hear that.i am also new to turkeys.i have a royal palm 8 week old boy.he was the only one that survived.he is like a puppy dog and follows me everywhere.i am like you,i started to let them(turkey/guineas) out during the day and lock them up at night but i get so paranoid that most days i leave them up.i just know something will get them because they are my favorite.

if he stays like this temperament wise,i will be getting more.i never knew turkeys were so sweet and funny.

Back
Top Bottom