Your 2024 Garden

Pics
We went to Lowe's (home improvement) this morning, and I resisted buying plants though they did have purslane. It helped that the plants were SO overpriced, I couldn't justify $5 each for little pots. I lingered over the Mexican heather, managed to walk away. I came home with what I was looking for, 6' wooden stakes. I needed new ones for the Summer squash.

Also, I finally convinced my dh to let go of his bicycle, the one he's not ridden in 25 years. We took it to the dump, but as we were laying it against the big dumpster a gentleman asked if he could have it. Of course! I also took an old TV antenna that didn't work, and a collection of rusted, bent, and broken tomato cages. I'd snapped off most of the antenna arials but kept a few of the longer ones that were still unbent.
IMG_20240406_114951499_HDR.jpg

Oh, does it feel good to get rid of more unneeded stuff!

After the dump we stopped at the farmers' market. DH bought a container of strawberries and a tomato. I purchased a quart jar of honey, the real McCoy, not the adulterated junk that's being sold in the grocery stores now. It was an investment, I will savor it.

We went to Lowe's (home improvement) this morning, and I resisted buying plants though they did have purslane. It helped that the plants were SO overpriced, I couldn't justify $5 each for little pots. I lingered over the Mexican heather, managed to walk away. I came home with what I was looking for, 6' wooden stakes. I needed new ones for the Summer squash.

Also, I finally convinced my dh to let go of his bicycle, the one he's not ridden in 25 years. We took it to the dump, but as we were laying it against the big dumpster a gentleman asked if he could have it. Of course! I also took an old TV antenna that didn't work, and a collection of rusted, bent, and broken tomato cages. I'd snapped off most of the antenna arials but kept a few of the longer ones that were still unbent.
View attachment 3793265
Oh, does it feel good to get rid of more unneeded stuff!

After the dump we stopped at the farmers' market. DH bought a container of strawberries and a tomato. I purchased a quart jar of honey, the real McCoy, not the adulterated junk that's being sold in the grocery stores now. It was an investment, I will savor it.
Gorilla Carts for the win!:highfive: (and getting stuff done but those carts are the best)

I need to build something very soon for the vining summer squash I have bought for the first time. When buying some chicken feed I asked the cashier if they had strong backs for sale for 8 hour days. They were fresh out. One son wants to come but is stranded in TX until his RV is road worthy again. Don't know just what it is but he needs it as his RV is his office to work from. Some how he has a high speed internet connect that is required for his work from home job. I did find some sprinkler heads today and one the sun is lower we may get them running tonight. If not tonight tomorrow night for sure.

I need to build something very soon for the vining summer squash I have bought for the first time. When buying some chicken feed I asked the cashier if they had strong backs for sale for 8 hour days. They were fresh out. One son wants to come but is stranded in TX until his RV is road worthy again. Don't know just what it is but he needs it as his RV is his office to work from. Some how he has a high speed internet connect that is required for his work from home job. I did find some sprinkler heads today and one the sun is lower we may get them running tonight. If not tonight tomorrow night for sure.
Did I already suggest a cattle panel trellis?

I used a shorter version for my melons last year.

Did I already suggest a cattle panel trellis?

I used a shorter version for my melons last year.
Yes. If I have an extra panel left I'll use it to trellis something. Right now just not sure what. I'm using T posts and plastic bale twine to support tomatoes and I have some field fence that I need to use for something but don't know what it will work the best for right now.

I have some field fence that I need to use for something but don't know what it will work the best for right now.
Love this fencing! It is tough! Lasts a long time.

I have a cucumber trellis and tomato cages made of field fencing. I like the way the openings in field fencing is large enough to put my hand through while picking.

We just bought another 330' roll of the 4' tall to replace the netting perimeter of the garden. There will be 2 rows of line above the fencing for a total of
6+ feet tall to deter the deer. It also has about 2' of chicken wire around the bottom to keep the bunnies from squeezing through.

Hoping to make my green bean and butterbean trellis out of this roll too. I do not enjoy weaving long string trellis like I've always done. All that weaving up, around, down, around, etc really works on my back and wrists.

I need to side dress my potatoes and work some dirt to them to start forming up in before I turn the water on. Every direction I look I can find something that needs doing now or soon. My biggest challenge is going to be weeding our onion bed. I just had onion rings at lunch and that is encouraging me to get that done.

Back
Top Bottom