Your favorite fancy Vegetarian/Vegan main dish?

Eggs are generally OK since for a lot of people I know it's a moral/welfare issue with animals and with eggs they come from my own chickens they can literally see and hold and acknowledge they have a good life here. And my chickens stick around for up to several years so it's not like one year and done with commercial farms, so they live a long time too.

But I'm not going to have almost any eggs in the dead of winter, so if it uses a LOT of eggs or features eggs it won't work.

The dairy is an allergy unfortunately. Lactose intolerance. And I don't raise cows, unfortunately (I sure would love to though). So no wiggle room there. :p
It does use a lot of eggs - 5. When my ladies aren't laying during molt or winter, I buy my eggs from happyegg.co . Their chickens are pasture raised and their website is a wealth of information. Their eggs are as good as my own. But, you are right, the recipe does call for cottage cheese and I don't know what to replace that with.

I can't find my Moosewood Cookbook, which is a cookbook from a vegetarian restaurant, but a quick google search will bring up some of their recipes. That would be worth a shot.

It does use a lot of eggs - 5. When my ladies aren't laying during molt or winter, I buy my eggs from happyegg.co . Their chickens are pasture raised and their website is a wealth of information. Their eggs are as good as my own. But, you are right, the recipe does call for cottage cheese and I don't know what to replace that with.

I can't find my Moosewood Cookbook, which is a cookbook from a vegetarian restaurant, but a quick google search will bring up some of their recipes. That would be worth a shot.

The one kind of vegan cheese we’ve tasted was a soft cream cheese type cheese that reminds me of ricotta. I don’t know where to get it but something like that might work?

I need to read through others' ideas since I'm vegetarian, but really my favorites are not exactly traditional Thanksgiving fare, though things we had growing up with an Italian grandmother. Lasagna, stuffed shells, baked ziti, manicotti, homemade mac and cheese, etc. After moving across the country and living in a different region I've developed an affinity for Mexican food, beans and avocados have become a staple in my diet, things like enchiladas are amazing.

Ultimately I'm really thinking on that pecan and mushroom wellington and what I could add to it that would be good. I really want it to have another layer in the middle for color and flair.

I was thinking asparagus because that's a really nice veg, but I'm pondering green beans now cause those probably go well with the mushrooms and nuts and onions.

Last edited:
I have, most of them seem like there's no recipes attached or when I crack them open there's dairy or eggs or something else I can't use. So I was hoping for someone with more direct experience with the suggested food.

Maple walnut sweet potatoes sound great but not much like a savory protein. :) Veg*n desserts/sweets are super easy IMO.

I have, most of them seem like there's no recipes attached or when I crack them open there's dairy or eggs or something else I can't use. So I was hoping for someone with more direct experience with the suggested food.

Maple walnut sweet potatoes sound great but not much like a savory protein. :) Veg*n desserts/sweets are super easy IMO.
Maybe the question is, do vegans really want a savory protein substitute? The ones I have known were just very accustomed to and happy with veggies and salads. It's what they prefer to eat, and they are simply appalled with whatever meat I'm serving to everyone else. I was a vegetarian for a few years while I worked for the Humane Society. Now I'm just particular where I get my meats, fowl and fish.

It's really quite nice of you to try to accommodate so many diet restrictions for your friends.

Back
Top Bottom