Zip ties with flags for banding legs?

Jan 12, 2021
I know lots of people have used zip ties to keep track of age etc. but has anyone used the zip ties that have the flags on them to write numbers on? I found small ones ( pic makes them look huge! :lau ) but didn’t know if it would be bothersome to the chickens? For those that have used zip ties has it worked well for your flock? Could a persistent bird peck it off?
DEE56033-F53F-41BB-BBCD-8CEFB1A7868E.jpeg

I use zip ties. The girls do not pick at or pay any attention to them...even the red zip ties are no issue.

What do you want the flag portion for? I think the flag would cause a more noticeable reaction. I leave the zip ties loose enough that they can rotate. Not sure the flag would allow for that :confused:.

I use zip ties. The girls do not pick at or pay any attention to them...even the red zip ties are no issue.

What do you want the flag portion for? I think the flag would cause a more noticeable reaction. I leave the zip ties loose enough that they can rotate. Not sure the flag would allow for that :confused:.
I wanted to use a sharpie and write numbers on them to help keep track of their ages and stuff like that. I was going to just avoid red altogether to be on the safe side. Yeah I was going to keep them loose but that was a concern I had thought of.

I just realized the pic of the zip tie I first put on the flag would be against the leg. Here is one with the flag on the very end.

Attachments

• FCAEC2CC-BC3A-47B9-813E-0F9F0847381D.jpeg
    FCAEC2CC-BC3A-47B9-813E-0F9F0847381D.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1
I personally don't use these zip ties, I just use zip ties in general. I would think that the writing would fade (since striped zip ties fade and I have tried to write on zip ties)

I wanted to use a sharpie and write numbers on them to help keep track of their ages and stuff like that. I was going to just avoid red altogether to be on the safe side. Yeah I was going to keep them loose but that was a concern I had thought of.

Not sure sharpie will last. I used blue for 2020 and the year goes on the left leg. A secondary color goes on the right leg, to distinguish same breed apart. We named by breed...and have two RIR, two LB and two BO. The RIR's are Rosie, so I have a "red" Rosie and a "yellow" Rosie, etc.

The year color is written on paper and stored in the jar that holds excess zip ties.

I'm now using zip ties rather than the plastic leg bands, because they cost less and stay on better. Here we use a different color for every year, and buy the numbered zip ties from a poultry supply company. 2020 is dark purple, although black was my other choice. Fitting colors for the past year, IMO.
I don't think that those ties with the flag are a good idea, and agree with everyone who's already said that..
Mary

Back
Top Bottom