Zodiac Hatch-A-Long - Waxing Moon in Fruitful Signs HAL

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
SET DAYS FOR CHICKEN EGGS IS APRIL 29 AND 30.
MAY 9, 10, 11
MAY 26. 27. 28
JUNE 5, 6, 7
Crossed out dates have passed.

For other birds, please adjust set dates accordingly.

I stumbled on this old thread about hatching by the moon phases and sign.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/536525/hatching-eggs-by-the-moon-thread

So for the rest of the summer I'm setting eggs so they'll hatch under a waxing moon in one of the fruitful signs of Cancer, Pisces or Scorpio.

The following times are for chicken eggs IF your temperatures are correct and they hatch in precisely 21 days. If there may be a variance in hatch times, I suggest setting in the middle of that time span.

The next setting will be from 10:33 AM on May 9 to 7:39 PM May 11 to hatch May 30-June 1 with the moon in Scorpio.
Afternoon setting on May 10 would probably be the sweet spot.

The third will be from midnight on May 26 to 7:22 AM May 29 to hatch June 17, 18 with the moon in Cancer.
The fourth will be June 5, 6, 7 to hatch June 26, 27, 28 with the moon in Scorpio.

I'm setting about 50 Black Penedesenca eggs and perhaps some olive eggers out of my lonely Ameraucana.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help during the hatch. Of the 17 eggs that went into lock-down 15 hatched. So I am a happy camper!
Despite the incubator drama that may have delayed the hatch a little:

2 Hatched on Day 20
6 Hatched on Day 21
8 on Day 22
1 on Day 23

Here is my count so far. I am saying so far because I have some Legbar eggs I kept on putting in every day for a week after setting; so they will keep on hatching for a few more days.

3 Chocolate Orpingtons
2 Mauve Orpingtons
3 Chocolate/Blue/Mauve Splash
1 Blue Orpington
1 BBS Splash Orpington
5 Crested Cream Legbars

Some pics:

Chocolate/Mauve/Splash Orpingtons:

Legbars:

Blue Orpintgon:

Last edited:
Incubator warehouse sent out a link to comparisons of candlers that they sell. I hope the video is helpful!

0.jpg

I set mine on May 15. I have candled a few eggs. They seem to be doing well.
I am loving this GQF hova bator 1588. It is rock solid. My test hatch resulted in 43 chicks out of 49.
I set over 60 eggs this time. I need to figure out a way to put dividers in so I can seperate the different breeds

Glad you are happy with the Genesis, bama... cut hardware cloth into 2 strips that're just short of the fan assembly and bend them into an L shape and wire the bends together... makes a fence in a shape like this + and gives your 4 spots for different breeds...

That is a tough dilemma Junibutt. I say if you can afford the craigslist hatcher...go for it

When I used little giant bators, I would buy freezer pops (the ones with the plastic wrapper) (not the ones with a stick) and put about 10-12 (unfrozen of course) in the bator. The thermal mass would help level out the temps some.

The power light is continuos. If I can figure out the temp.fax, it could be an excellent machine for $66. Even has an auto-turner. lol!
I swear I was thinking of doing that. lol!

If the power light is continuous it means that it isn't able to achieve the target temperature. I would be careful about turning it up more. If ambient conditions allow it to achieve target, it will overheat.
Can you build some barriers around the incubator to keep it from losing heat? Basically creating a mini warm room. Perhaps build a wall with cardboard a few inches from each side. Cut some cardboard and cover the windows. Whatever you do, don't cover any holes since they need air, especially now.
If you do that, you may find you have to turn it down. Once the power light cycles, that's when it has achieved target temperature based on the dial setting.

And assisted hatches are so time consuming. I also find that those that don't hatch easily, have foot issues that are also very time consuming to deal with. IMHO, as a farmer dude, it isn't worth it to coddle birds. They make it or they don't
This isn't a new thing. In nature, robust chicks hatch and less vigorous ones don't. Coddling them, again IMHO, creates generations of weak genes.

Back
Top Bottom