Comparing Australian Rouen stock to others

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
It seems our Rouen ducks are quite different. Unless you do have the bigger bird don’t worry.
An example of Australian Rouens:
658595B3-66FA-4B4A-BED6-A20DB54DA1BD.png
Source: Peel ridge stud

An example of a USA Rouen:
C3276B4A-FD89-45B9-A245-CEDCBDE3DA5D.png
Source: Purely Poultry

Can anyone explain why this is?

I’m not sure why someone would breed them that large. Those babies probably have a lot of health issues.

It's an elongated keel, and that's actually how the breed originally was in the US. The smaller ones were bred down. They don't have health issues that I know of, but can have some trouble mating due to the keel, so breeders will sometimes use males with keels that aren't as extreme.

Despite how large they look, they're really only a pound bigger than a saxony. They are very similar to the Aylesbury, which also has the same deep keel and also weighs nine to ten pounds.

I'm not a fan of the look, but I do breed Calls, which are extreme in other ways, so I can't cast stones :p

Last edited:
It's an elongated keel, and that's actually how the breed originally was in the US. The smaller ones were bred down. They don't have health issues that I know of, but can have some trouble mating due to the keel, so breeders will sometimes use males with keels that aren't as extreme.

Despite how large they look, they're really only a pound bigger than a saxony. They are very similar to the Aylesbury, which also has the same deep keel and also weighs nine to ten pounds.

I'm not a fan of the look, but I do breed Calls, which are extreme in other ways, so I can't cast stones :p
That’s interesting! I would have thought they weighed a lot more than 9 pounds by the way they look.

The utility Rouens just look like standard sized mallards.

And doesn’t the Rouen duck originate in France?

It does :) Then it went to England and the breeders there got ahold of it and bred it to look like it does, and then it came to the US from England, so we got the big boat-shaped ones, and over time some of them were bred to be production rouens that lay more eggs (since the big ones are terrible egg layers) and thus they lost the big size and boat shape. The production ones probably more closely resemble the breed as it originally was in France.

Back
Top Bottom