Longtime Lurker, first time caller

DMSelena

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2016
Hey y'all.

I live in SE Texas river-bottom country, and I've been lurking this site for years after I started my chicken obsession upon moving out to the country from the Big City.

My husband and I both work from home, which is a small bit of acreage with a natural pond. We mainly raise chickens and ducks, though we've had turkeys, guinea fowl, a minipig (she's still with us), and various other creatures, domestic and wild, take their ease here at what we lovingly call "Druid House". My main gig is in marketing communications (husband is a programmer), but the rest of my time is spent managing our permaculture farm.

I thought I'd go ahead and register an account, since I've started developing my own little breeding program, aiming for a sustainable landrace bird that does well in this environment. To be very clear about it: I am not breeding to standard. When I say "landrace", I am not talking about Icelandics, etc. I have been introducing various breeds into my flock selected for certain characteristics that will, hopefully, make their offspring more suited to our particular climate.

I'll get into more detail in another post, but that's what I'm up to so you know why I'm here.

Nice to meet everyone!

Heather

Hi Heather and thanks for joining us here at BYC. I too like to "play around" with mixing breeds, but its just more of an interest than an end goal - still fun though!

As a long time lurker, you already know your way around the site, so please make yourself at home.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Back
Top Bottom