Feeding Pumpkin Seeds--Hulled or Unhulled/How Many/How Often?

chicksgalore

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Does it matter? I am looking at some sites to buy them and some are offered roasted/unhulled and some are unroasted w/hull. Why isn't there just plain ole pumpkin seeds? Does anyone have a good place/site to buy and can offer advice on a reasonable price to pay?

I'd like to start giving these to my chickens periodically (once a month maybe?) I wonder how many lbs I should give at a time--I have 50 chickens. Anyone?

at this time of the year, I would grab a pumpkin from the grocery store and just cut it in half for them.

Feed them whole, with the hull on. There is an enzyme in the pumpkin seed hull that paralyzes internal parasites, and the extra roughage allows the chicken to pass the worms easier. Our chickens love the seeds and slimy stringy bits of the pumpkin more than the flesh, but they still love the flesh as well. Plus, it will give the egg yolks a good color.

Places like the tractor supply company, or mayo garden center might have the whole unhulled seeds if you want to buy them that way.

I had a young chicken-about 29 weeks-get pumpkin seeds stuck in his throat. His combs and wattles turned blue and we had to message his throat and do a little chicken CPR. Since then I run the big pumpkin seeds through the blender if I feeding them to youngsters. He did not learn from his first try-hence the blender until they are older.

Back
Top Bottom