Homemade Barnwood Farm Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
Hey'all, I just finished my mother's Christmas present. She bought a farm down in VA to retire on and they named it Autumn Song. She loves birds and works for a non-profit agency which helps protect wild bird habitats so I thought accenting it with the two birds was appropriate.

The bird is a tufted titmouse which is a year round resident of the Blue Ridge and is a song bird. The background is the mountain view from their homesite.

100_3042.jpg

I thought it turned out pretty well and was wondering if anyone would like to commission one for themselves. This one is 24" by 14 or so inches. It is made of old pine barnwood and has a wormy chestnut frame. The birds are carved into the wood as well as the calligraphy. I then burned and stained the calligraphy and burned and painted the birds.

I'll give an estimate before I begin the sketch and won't begin the sign until I get the sketch approved by you. You don't have to pay unless you are completely satisfied with the finished product.

A sign like my mothers would be about $75. That includes one med. sized, simple image or two smaller images as well as two words in the calligraphy of your choice. A large, more detailed image like a pair of birds and 3 or more words would be about $125. Intricate signs like detailed homes (folksy farmhouses are cheaper) are $150-$200. Super sized farm signs (app. 2' wide by 30" long) with larger pictures and more wording can range from $200-$300. The price is based on the amount of carving that needs to be done and how intricate the design.

Just pm me your ideas and we'll go from there. Thanks so much!

All finished signs will be posted in the sale section as a "Buy it now" item to help assure proper feedback.

Last edited:
I think the price is reasonable for all your work. I would be interested in a sign with my breed of chickens on it and my logo.

Sending you a PM.......

Thanks so much for your kind words
big_smile.png

TuffHen, here's a sketch of an orpington. Im still going to work on the head. I made her a bit stylized but if I went more realistic, I'd have to get into painting each individual feather
tongue.png
This way I can paint them in roughly to give her definition. She will still look fantastic once the paint is on. I'd need a pic of one of your girls, if possible, so I could match up the color you'd like.

orpington001-1.jpg

This is the hen I kinda looked off of and I could use her color too.
orpingtonhenblue.jpg

I understand the sketch may not look like much but I can promise you will love the finished piece. I haven't had a complainer yet
smile.png
and I've sold quite a few things at craft shows and such. I, of course, wouldn't bind you to payment if you were not 100% happy with it.

edited to say: I think she needs another leg, too
hmm.png

Last edited:
That is so pretty!! I like it just the way you have it in the sketch!! Infact the hen you used as a model I have hens that color exactly and that fluffy
wink.png
Could you can add a mountain in the background? You have a sale!!!

SOLD!!
big_smile.png

It'll probably be ready by Monday so I'll contact you with shipping costs. I'll post a pic on here first for confirmation then send it out the cheapest way.

HMMM I am really thinking about these they are beautiful and it would make a great coop sign ! I need to decide what chicken could be on the board and what the background could be. Also can you do houses I am thinking of my cabin in Canada and how it would be lovely to have one of these done of it I will try and decide and email you. These are amazing !

I love it as well, you do very nice work! I wish I had an artistic bone in my body.

It would make a fantastic coop sign. Are they weather safe? Between summer, hurricane season and blizzards I'd not want to risk something that nice to the weather.

Julie

The barnwood has been outdoors for a hundred years and that's how they aquire their patina. I prefer mine to just weather naturally...paint and all, but I could add a couple layers of low gloss poly to protect the color.

I would, of course, bring it in before a hurricane
lol.png
but everything else would be fine.

You could always treat it every couple years as well to keep it protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom