FFA hatching!! Quail are reproducing! WOOT!!!

Fudgie

Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
North Central Missouri boonies
Hi, I have been asked by the ag instructor to help out with a educational unit with our local FFA chapter, since I am a hatching queen!
They are planning to set the eggs February 16th for the incubation unit in class. The would like to have a good assortment of eggs to hatch, turkey, goose, guinea, quail, duck, chickens of any sort. emu anything will be fun. I have 6 styrofoam bators that they can use. I also have a new/antique incubator that holds 400 eggs and will be starting it up around that time if not earlier too. Any of the eggs you all send to them that won't fit in the bators we will have set up at school, will be set in my 400 egg machine.

Also, anything we set and hatch from this batch of eggs is going to be theirs to keep, sell , trade or show or whatever and THEY keep the profits for their fundraising.

We want them to learn about candling, humidity, pipping and zipping and well everything.

If any of you would like to help out, send me an e-mail and we can work something out, I will be responsible for getting all the eggs and paying for them out of my pocket. I have already talked to a few people about some eggs, but we need variety. If you are close enough to me we can meet up and save the shipping costs, I am all for that! I just want them to have a good time hatching and learning and making money for their club, too.

If we can receive them on Friday the 13th(nice date isn't it) or Saturday the 14th, that would be optimum. If they come earlier or later that is also not a problem. we can start them before the kids get there on Monday if necessary. They will have the incubators set up in the classroom so they will know what is happening, and they will be there to take care of them.

For any of you that have signed up to send me eggs, I will PM you around Feb 7th to give you heads up. Around that date, if you have said you would like to send some and I have missed you, don't think I don't want them I might have just missed you on the list...so PM me back. After they hatch I will try to post pictures of the kids and maybe some candling and stuff and the end result. This is gonna be a mega project and so much fun! What a page in the scrapbook this will be!

Have I said how awesome the people on BYC are....You guys ROCK!!!
wink.png

Thanks, Jen

Edited to clarify the project! We will take whatever we can get and we were thinking at least one per state. We will take multiples from the states if you want to donate to the cause. Sorry that part was confusing. The kids will not turn down any eggs. They will all be incubated!

I will edit here to add the states I have and the ones I need. last updated 1/21/09

States we have so far: AK, AL, AR, CO, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, NM, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, WA.
States we need: AZ, CA, CT, DE, HI, ID, ME, MD, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, ND, RI, SC, SD, VT, VA, WV, WI, WY

ok, might be stretching a WHOLE lot, but I am going to keep track anyway just to see where they come from! This is really getting interesting. Thanks everyone!

Updated: Time to collect your eggies on your mark, get set, GOOOOOOOOO!!!

I will e-mail everyone.
Update below with pictures of the incubators so far.

Update: pulling the main batch from the incubator to the brooder today! Keep those hatching vibes coming!! WOO HOOOO

Last edited:
send me your address and you will have some coturnix there abouts...I likes the ag kids...did my student teaching in ag but teach the sciences

I would say so we can have them on Friday the 13th or Saturday the 14th, if they come earlier not a problem, we can start them before the kids get there. They will have the incubators set up in the classroom so they will know what is happening.

Edited because i am a goonball and looked at the wrong month on the calendar for the dates above!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Ok, I'm a bit confused? You say 'Friday the 16th or Saturday the 17th', but the 16th and 17th of February are on a Monday and Tuesday? So which is it? January or February?

Well, that is because I was looking at the wrong month!!! I would like them to be here Friday 13th (ooohhhh) and Saturday 14th...We are putting them in the incubator on Monday the 16th....

AWESOME!!! YES mutts are welcome. Just let me know so I can put mutts in one bator and pures (if there are some) in the other...I never thought of the kids wanting to show some of them...That is a good idea.

This is merely for learning and making some money. I talked to the Pres of the FFA club tonight and he was like "OMG, you are gonna let us keep all of the profit?
droolin.gif
" I said sure, it is your thing and you guys gotta make money some how and I need to test out my new incubator!!!

He was excited. I figure it is worth it to test out my incubator!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom