Dogs vs. chickens

HaleyS

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
I'm planning on getting two-three new baby chicks and need to know how most dogs are able to adjust to the new family members

Last edited:
It really depends on the dog, if your dog is pretty crazy in the first place, then probably not. Of course, you could also have a really nice, calm dog that would go crazy over the chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
yippiechickie.gif

It pretty much depends on the type and age of the dog. BUT the general conclusion would be that dogs and chickens do NOT mix well!!!!

Many dogs will just kill them for FUN (chickens run, flap their wings, make lots of noise) - not to eat them!!

You will definitely have to protect the chicks. It does not take much to kill one.

Good Luck!!!

Oh Boy, it all depends on the dog and not the breed of dog.

It depends totally on the ability of you as a handler to be able to teach or control your dog from chasing or killing the peeps.

Some dogs aren't a problem, while others are a nightmare.

Keeping a close eye (really close) will determine if the mix will work for you and the peeps.

bigzio

Even the most well behaved dog shouldn't be trusted around chicks. I say this from experience.
The dog may mean no harm, but the chick will be just as dead.

You will need to be very careful. All dogs, even tiny ones, have prey drive and chickens will trigger that. You shouldn't let them alone with chickens. I have Shih Tzu and even though the chicks grew up with the dogs , I know the dogs could be triggered into attacking them if I am not there. Everything is fine when I am there and the birds and the dogs will nap lying together on warm sunny days . Often the hens will put their heads over on the dogs back, but I never let them alone with them. The chickens have a big fenced area just for them and the dogs go into their space only when someone is with them. Maybe a herding type of dog that can be trained to protect livestock might be ok, but still I would keep an eye on them. My Grandmother had a farm dog when I was a kid that herded all the animals and would even round up the chickens and ducks and get them in if she thought it was time or if she thought there was danger. Dogs are by nature predators and chickens are a prey animal so you always have to be careful having both.

Maybe a herding type of dog that can be trained to protect livestock might be ok, but still I would keep an eye on them

Herding dogs dont PROTECT. The "herding " instinct is an offshoot of PREY DRIVE
LGD's (Livestock Guardian Dogs) are the breeds that instinctively protect.

http://www.lgd.org/

Last edited:
Dont turn your back on the Dog. Ever.

Train them, teach them, "be there" for them. Carefully select them, love them, feed them. Understand there are tens of millenia of hunting/predator behavior inside them. Make allowances for that.

But don't turn your back on them.

My dog Jewels has never touched a chicken that was on their side of the fence. If they fly over the 6' fence I have built to protect them... well, it's fair game.

Jewels is an angel otherwise. The chickens stick their head though the 2X4" fence and she doesn't try to pull them through it. Yet
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
It's so exciting to get your first baby chicks. You've come to a great place with loads of information to help you get a good start with your new little ones. Have fun and enjoy the forum.

As to your question, I would recommend doing a search in the predator section with the word "dog". The results can be horrible if an untrained dog is left unattended with chickens. Many folks on this forum have experienced the havoc a dog can do to a flock of birds. It is their nature (in most cases) and something you'll want to consider carefully as you plan your chicken housing and such.

Back
Top Bottom