chicks leg is turning to the side

mickylee16

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
IL
if anyone could help that would be great, we have nine baby chicks they are now 3 1/2 weeks old, we noticed one a couple days ago walking funny we thought he broke his leg, but he was still walking and eating and didn't seem to be in pain, the problem was at the top of the leg, so it made the foot turn sideways, than it just got worse to the point where is foot was almost all the way turned around, now we see two more starting to have the same problem, ans it seems to be all the boys, does anyone know what this could be from? we had some trouble with them hatching(don't think we turned the eggs enough, so we bought an egg turner for the next batch) and aren't sure if it's from that or something different, i've been looking around and am thinking maybe calcium deffinceny(SP)
but again not sure, has anyone every seen anything like this before? we don't want the same thing to happen to anymore. thanks

Niacin deficiancy pops into my head for some reason. What are you feeding them? I had a duckling with an inverted leg a couple of years ago, I was going to cull him, but didn't and it straitened out on its own. He is fine now.

A pic might help but i'm wondering if its spraddle leg? Lots of good advise here about that. I'm nursing a spraddle leg now. First time chicken owner and hoping for the best. She is my wifes favorite.

feet002.jpg

feet003.jpg

heres some pics

Last edited:
does it feel like it is turning from the hip or at the "knee joint" try some vitamins (Poly-Vi-Sol) can be found in any pharmacy in the baby section. If it is turning from the hip it could be splaid (sp?) leg and that is a heredity thing I believe (took a chick I had with it to the vet and thats what he said) and nothing can be done about it. But if it does not feel as though the hip is turning outwards it could be something else. Either way try some vitamins and see if that helps.

Last edited:
yes its from the knee just sent hubby to store for some vitamins hopefully it will help
thanks a bunch

Back
Top Bottom